Weapon Lengths, come up much?

• 27 Replies
Re: Weapon Lengths, come up much?
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2012, 08:37:12 PM »
Humans overcome. Once per fight, re-roll your damage.
Niiiiice.
Chris McNeilly

noofy

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2012, 01:23:27 AM »
+1 to Mr. Harper's Suggestion. This will be adopted forthwith in our game, though there is no human fighter.....
As Chris eloquently surmised: Noice.

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2012, 02:17:34 AM »
Humans overcome. Once per fight, re-roll your damage.

Not a bad idea, especially given it could apply to either damage taken or damage dealt.  The racial moves are all pretty old and are going to see an edit pass before the beta is done, for sure.  We've changed some core assumptions about the game and it behooves us to hit those again.

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2012, 02:32:01 AM »
Functional ambiguity FTW.

sage

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2012, 12:36:00 PM »
"Once per fight" always makes me a little nervous, but I can probably live with it.

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2012, 01:16:32 PM »
I also cringe at "once per fight." Sounds rather like an encounter power to me. *shivers*

How about, "When you roll damage against an enemy that is threatening your ally, roll twice and take the best result."

Though I do like the idea of being able to force a reroll on the GM's damage roll. That's neat and mirrors the fighter's damage mitigation abilities nicely.

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2012, 04:30:12 PM »
How about once per level, on a per session thing? I can't recall if there's anything that works on the session level already as basis.

stras

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2012, 04:36:02 PM »
I also cringe at "once per fight." Sounds rather like an encounter power to me. *shivers*

I cannot think of 'once per fight' moves elsewhere but take a look at this.

Fiction dictates action, and action dictates fiction.  There are a number of moves upon 'entering a new area' (rogue), entering a town (bard/rogue), per day (steading/rest).

Rogues move room to room.  Bards - person to person and town to town.

Similarly: Fighters are creatures of war, fictionally moving from battle to battle.  

I can see why 'encounter' bothers some people, but I think this is different, in-theme, useful and possibly appropriate in this case.

Thoughts?

sage

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2012, 04:44:28 PM »
There are a couple of references to battle as a duration or trigger (Fighter's Through Death's Eyes move, Cleric's Bless spell). We just want to be careful with them and how they're presented so they don't feel like Encounter Powers (not that there's anything intrinsically wrong with Encounter Powers, they're just not part of DW).

Here's an obnoxiously long wording that I think helps make it not an Encounter Power:

When you go into battle gain 1 hold. Spend that hold at any time to reroll your damage. Any unspent hold is lost when the battle ends.

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2012, 04:54:01 PM »
I can see why 'encounter' bothers some people, but I think this is different, in-theme, useful and possibly appropriate in this case.

Thoughts?

All good thoughts. My somewhat visceral reaction to "encounter" is likely due to trying to shed some previous D&D assumptions and skills (or adjust my perception of things) to better "get" how to run and play DW. I can see the value of it.

P2

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2012, 05:50:12 PM »
Not a bad idea, especially given it could apply to either damage taken or damage dealt.  The racial moves are all pretty old and are going to see an edit pass before the beta is done, for sure.  We've changed some core assumptions about the game and it behooves us to hit those again.

Nice to hear it. There are some racial moves that doesn't make sense to me, like human wizard. I'll verify the actual moves and give my suggestions for changes.

Also I would like to see races been more important, like a description and new moves or other options for racial moves.

sage

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2012, 08:10:09 PM »
We're still editing and revising of course. I've got a weekly DW game where I'm a player which has given me all kinds of new insights on the rules.

That said, I feel like the remaining changes are smaller. We're really happy with the overall state of the game and are pushing towards a final version.

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2012, 04:41:11 PM »
"Once per fight" always makes me a little nervous, but I can probably live with it.

You're only nervous because you're so functionally ambiguous.