approximate date of availibility of the next version of the rules

• 5 Replies
First of all, a wonderful game you've made and I've very much enjoyed reading it and about it. Keep up the good work!

And since I'd like to read more, I was wondering when the beta rules will transform to "official" rules? As a sort of a ball park figure.

The thing is I doubt, sadly, that I will not have the time or opportunity to actually play the game in the foreseeable future so I am dependent on the non-Adventurer's Guild content, but on the other hand I am itching get my hands on more than the current basic rules!

Also, the subject line turned out to be twice the length than what was intended.

Re: approximate date of availibility of the next version of the rules
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 09:30:56 AM »
I'm in the same situation. My games are on hold and I'm unable to play any game for at least few months. Is there any other way to get hold of beta rules? Looks like they're huge improvement over DW Basic released at lats GenCon. Maybe some preorder program when we could pay now for future printed version of full game and get acces to Adventures Guild content for now?

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 11:47:53 AM »
To answer your questions in the order they were received;

1) The full, printed, published real-deal version of Dungeon World is going to be released later this year.  We're hoping to open the kickstarter late spring and have things up and running by then.  That said, production being what it is, we can't say precisely for sure, but rest assured we'll be announcing it on the site, to the Guild and through Facebook and Twitter.

2) Access to the Guild is a bit of a nebulous thing.  Basically, we ask for AP reports and feedback so that we know a) the people we're inviting are actually playing the game and b) looking to help us improve it!  That said, we're not slapping NDAs on people and making demands.  The Beta rules aren't being held hostage.  Email us!  Obviously our fans are why we exist, so just because you're not in a position to actively play the game doesn't mean you can't engage in the process.  Hit up gm@dungeon-world.com and we'll see what we can do for you!

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 06:51:14 PM »
Hmmm, Kickstarter.... :) Can't wait to see what goodies are available at different pledge levels.

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 04:24:58 PM »
Thanks for the reply skinnyghost!

I want to add that I understand that the purpose of the guild is to get feedback and the beta rules act as a (very effective) carrot. That being said, I'd probably be a bit miffed if I was 'stuck' with only the basic rules until the full product is released and had pay for the full PDF 'again' (I don't know how you plan to do that, might as well be the case) just to see anything beyond the basic set.

But in any case, I will send you mail to see if anything can be worked out despite my lack of actual play experience and questionable insight :)

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 06:53:27 PM »
The beta rules don't contain any of the art, editing or clarification that the full game will.  Ultimately, the page count between the full game and the beta pdf is going to jump up and the overall production value is going to increase. 

We stand firm that the red book is a finished game, but we wanted to take that game, build on it and release something bigger and more fleshed out. 

The Guild isn't just about access to the beta rules, either - there's compendium classes and other miscellaneous goodies.  The Guild is going to expand and include other cool junk well past the playtest phase of the game!  Stick around!