Feedback please on Custom Move

• 3 Replies
Feedback please on Custom Move
« on: March 23, 2012, 04:40:06 PM »
Hey all!
Happy Friday!
I'm looking for suggestions & feedback for this custom move...I wanted to make something fun for my players for going into bars/clubs/gambling dens etc... in my AW Hack - what do you think? too many options? other fun/interesting options?

Thanks in Advance...   : )

HankleVonCrankle

--------------------------------

When you Belly-Up to the Bar…
Roll +Sharp if you’re looking for someone or something
Roll +Hard if you’re looking for trouble
Roll +Cool if you’re looking to be seen
Roll +Hot if you’re looking to Fuck
Roll +Weird if you’re looking to get Fucked-up

On a 10+ choose 3, On a 7-9 pick 2
*You don’t piss her off
*You find what/who you're looking for
*You can get your Fuck-on
*You impress or intimidate the crowd
*You impress or intimidate someone (pick one) Cool, Hot, Hard, Sharp, or Weird
*You meet someone (Pick one) Cool, Hot, Hard, Sharp, or Weird
*You beat the Shit outta that guy
*You get your Fix (describe) and you’re Blissed out, +1Weird forward
On a Miss your loving MC will take 1 or more and make them not so good for you, or make a move. -Enjoy!

Love & Kisses, your MC.

Re: Feedback please on Custom Move
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 07:58:04 PM »
I'm not sure if the versatility of the move is its strength or its weakness.

It looks like you could belly up to the bar and declare your intention to be whatever lets you roll your best (or highlighted) stat, and then just pick results that are meant to match up with a different intention.

Frex: Dogman wants to get his Fuck-on, but he's Hot -2.  But that's okay, because he can just belly up to the bar and declare that he's looking for trouble and roll his Hard +2 instead.  On either a 10+ or a 7-9 he can choose to get his fuck-on, as well as picking another option that's a bit more in keeping with his stated intention.

Fictionally, this isn't the end of the world.  Dogman knows he's nothing much to look at, and never has the right words to sweet-talk the ladies.  But he does know that if he bellies up to the bar looking for trouble, he can choose to beat the crap out of somebody, showing off how tough he is, and probably get laid by a gal who gets off on that kind of thing.

Actually, having written out that example, I kinda like it.  The move lets you get what you want using a wide variety of tactics.

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 04:09:22 AM »

I think you want to avoid duplicating or superceding existing basic moves unless you're adding some specific spin to it. I can already roll +hot to pick someone up at the bar - and generally speaking the manipulate/seduce moves probably offer a more interesting set of constraints/results.

I would try rewriting this as a series of moves, one for each stat/type of action-at-the-bar you are imagining, with a much more concrete and constrained list of possible results. I'm not saying you necessarily want to have 4-5 custom moves just for 'going to the bar' -- I suggest it mostly as an exercise, to help you pin down exactly what sort of fictional thing you are imagining in each case. This might in turn give you insight about the one-in-all move, either in terms of pieces that don't fit or in terms of finding more awesome, concrete results that you can let players pick from.

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 10:04:57 AM »
Thanks very much for the advice!