The 1st Session sheet

• 2 Replies
The 1st Session sheet
« on: March 28, 2012, 10:05:04 AM »
About the 1st session sheet: do I only use it for the 1st session or do I use it each and every session? I can't seem to figure out if I use it just for the 1st session and then build everything into fronts, and from then on, craft all new NPCs directly into those fronts; or if I use the same 1st session sheet every session and keep scribbling down notes and THEN put those into fronts.

Re: The 1st Session sheet
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 01:52:57 AM »
Hey there. I'm not an expert by any means, so perhaps I'm wrong here. But I MCed the first session of my first AW game this past Tuesday and so had out the 1st Session Sheet. The way I did things was thusly.

I used the notes and reminders on the 1st Session Sheet as a play aid. It's got the Agenda, Principles, and MC Moves on it, along with a nice list of NPC names, and the things to do during the 1st session. I wrote the PC's names and what Playbook they were in the center circle, but that was it. I scribbled all my other notes onto scratch paper because frankly, my handwriting sucks.

Now that the session is over, I've been looking at my notes and trying to fit the pieces together. When I decide what the Threats actually are and have determined their types, cast, resources, and some "I wonder..." questions, I'll write them down on the sheet. I'm pretty sure that the 1st Session Sheet then becomes the home front. So I would assume that you'll use the 1st Session Sheet in every session from now on, until or unless the players move to a new home front, or the situation changes so significantly that the home front needs to be reset from zero again.

Like, I don't see any reason why you couldn't use a "real" Fronts sheet for the home front. But there are some things on the 1st Session Sheet that are more general and apply to running the game, as opposed to the specialized Fronts sheets which are pretty much only for a single, specific front. Does that make any sense?
If you see my post in your thread, it'll die within 24 hours. You've been warned.

@HyveMynd on Twitter

Re: The 1st Session sheet
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 10:17:44 AM »
I used it in the first two sessions to record all the threats and their fundamental scarcity. A lot of those haven't been explored yet, so they represent threats that could and probably will appear at some point.
I've been creating new threats on scrap paper while at work.
Check out my new book of apocalyptic fiction!
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/taylorwhiteshowPreview=true