When you practice phrenology, roll+hard

• 4 Replies

lumpley

When you practice phrenology, roll+hard
« on: June 10, 2010, 06:32:10 PM »
Here's one I got:
Bumps on the head
@Goatdance made me.

As usual, the cranial exploration students start taunting the phrenologists, and phrenological manipulation hammers are produced. Mayhem breaks out shortly thereafter, and the porters lead a charge of the hired help to break things up. You are in the thick of things, and suddenly you are surrounded by a coterie of second year students armed with cranial implements. You put up a sterling show of arms, but there are too many and you soon find yourself phrenologically manipulated into unconsciousness. You wake the next day, on an examining table. It seems that you have been studied.

(a) I love it. Hats off to @Goatdance.

(b) John, what do you think about making moves available per your associations, instead of per your character type? "When you get associated: phrenologists +1, choose one of the following moves. Each time your associated: phrenologists increases, choose another, until you have all three," or all five or twenty or however many.

-Vincent

(Edited for bbcode.)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 07:45:35 PM by lumpley »

Re: When you practice phrenology, roll+hard
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 07:22:01 PM »
That's a great idea. I'm hoping we can keep the idea of Qualities that accumulate values over the course of the game, and tying them to your moves like that seems elegant.

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 05:05:43 AM »
I don't want to interrupt the conversation but: You guys are blowing my fucking mind!

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 03:36:22 PM »
Can I just express my near-infinite joy in a game that not only incorporates "phrenology" into a mechanic, but uses it to mean beating people in the head with small hammers?

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 06:09:04 PM »
I think one of the Discworld novels called this "reverse phrenology" but "phrenological manipulation" sounds good too.  :)