Con-Quest 3, Saturday 14/04, Assembly Rooms, Derby, UK

• 9 Replies
Con-Quest 3, Saturday 14/04, Assembly Rooms, Derby, UK
« on: February 28, 2012, 11:32:45 AM »
http://www.con-quest.co.uk/ is the website, and I'm seriously considering running a DW game to show it off, and hopefully meet some new players in my area.

So, any advice?

Most importantly, what scenario should I run?

D.

Re: Con-Quest 3, Saturday 14/04, Assembly Rooms, Derby, UK
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 11:40:55 AM »
For a one off, I like to collect monster, treasure and location ideas from the players at the table, jot down a few more specific ideas, pieces of colour and stats while they make their characters, then wing most of it. If you get keen you probably have time to write a front in that time, but I don't usually bother: I'm aiming for a simple, action-packed game that doesn't have any ambitions beyond the 2-4 hours available.

If any of that sounds helpful, I can expand.

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 11:48:45 AM »
Consider one of the three Dungeon Starters that I posted to the forum.  
The Shallow Sea
The Goblin Hole
Black Oak Ridge
They give you a lot of material to work with but are also really, really open so that you and the players will still be doing a lot of world building. 

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 11:54:31 AM »
I found Marshall's excellent Dungeon Starters most useful when I thought of them as the environment in which the adventure takes place rather than the adventure themselves. So I'd read through those, pick one, write a bad guy/evil scheme/front and plop it into that Starter.

I heart The Shallow Sea; it's probably my favourite Dungeon World "supplement" so far.

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 12:02:05 PM »
I have those three Dungeon Starters already printed out in the back of my DW folder, so I'll read them again in this new light. Thank you both!

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 12:25:32 PM »
They are definitely part adventure and part setting.  I made them before the basic rules came out and I definitely had the first sessions from Apocalypse World in mind when I made them.  I'm happy that it turned out you can use them either as a setting with your own adversary/fronts or as a starting situation and details that you then use when playing to find out what the fronts will be.

Ifryt

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 06:41:37 AM »
For your consideration, I also propose module prepared by me: Rahasia based on the classic D&D adventure. It has a bit more of a plot than excellent Marshall's modules, so it depends on what you prefer. I quite successfully ran this module twice during a gaming convention in Warsaw, Poland, where I live. Both times it took about 3 hours to play (plus preparing characters for players and explaining rules).

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 07:44:53 AM »
The first two adventures out of Within the Devil's Reach are great for con games. If your not a backer on the Kickstarter send me an email and I'll try and get you the art and map free PDF for you to use.

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 10:48:01 AM »
Thank you, JBMannon - I have sent you a PM.

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 10:55:52 AM »
And also, thank you very much, Ifryt. I'm opening Rahasia for a look as I type this.