Turn Their Move Back on Them

• 7 Replies
Turn Their Move Back on Them
« on: February 23, 2012, 09:15:40 AM »
This is an MC move I sometimes have trouble with.  I wonder how many good examples we can come up with.

Re: Turn Their Move Back on Them
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 09:17:36 AM »
GO AGGRO

"I put my pistol to Dremmer's temple and tell him to drop the bag."

"So, before you can react, Dremmer gets out HIS pistol to YOUR temple and tells YOU to drop your gun.  You want to force his hand or suck it up?"

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 09:23:00 AM »
SEDUCE/MANIPULATE

"So, how's this- I promise to bring her back some of the good stuff, and in exchange Millions finances the raid?"

*roll*

"Nah, here's how it plays out.  Millions makes it clear she can do this for you, but she needs more than just some concrete assurances.  And she tells you about this raider problem.  Deal with them, it'll get you in her good graces.  Mark XP if you deal with the raiders, Act Under Fire if you don't."

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 09:52:23 AM »
Player: While we're talking about the theft, I'm going to Read Foster.

(Dice roll a total Fail)

MC: All right.  Foster puts down her fork and stares at you hard, her face stormy.  "Don't you trust me?" What is your character really feeling?

Player: Oh shit.  I don't feel a hell of a lot of trust, that's for sure.

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 11:05:35 AM »
Alternate Read a Person:

"While we're talking about the theft, I'm going to Read Foster."

*fail*

"Foster's got one hell of a poker face.  Go ahead and ask questions anyway, but I'm going to answer with what Foster wants you to think."

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 11:44:14 AM »
Say you have a no-shit driver who's seizing the battlefield by force from the driver's seat.  They're using two moves -- you don't have to turn the seize back on them, right?  Maybe you even let them pick one of the options from the successful move list, but you turn no-shit driver back on them:

"OK, well you do make some headway with leading your gang on the bridge, but fuck, man -- it's obvious that your Cadi wasn't supporting you the way it used to.  What's wrong with you, man -- are you shaking?  Have you lost your edge?  Until you get your head together, using a car in combat is stressful and you'll have to endure fire in order to be able to act.

Does that count as turning it back or is that just imposing an extra condition?

Chroma

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 02:03:38 PM »
Alternate Read a Person:

I just love doing a direct reversal of "Read a Person": asking three questions the NPC wants to know about the PC... have had some amazing results with that!
"If you get shot enough times, your body will actually build up immunity to bullets. The real trick lies in surviving the first dozen or so..."
-- Pope Nag, RPG.net - UNKNOWN ARMIES

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 07:49:13 PM »
It's mentioned in the core book, but my favorite way of turning a manipulate back onto a player is to offer them experience if they back down, or they can push on but it's acting under fire. Basically, what happens when one PC successfully manipulates another, only using it when it's an NPC that a PC fails to manipulate.