B7 Rahasia for Dungeon World

• 6 Replies

Ifryt

B7 Rahasia for Dungeon World
« on: February 21, 2012, 10:14:33 AM »
Inspired by excellent starters (by Marshall Miller and others) I tried adapting classic D&D adventure B7 "Rahasia" by Tracy & Laura Hickman.

"Rahasia"

Monsters' stats are not made according to 1.1 guidelines - just what I thought was ok.
(Those guidelines in the current form are out of range in most cases. I read discussions in this forum and decided to ignore them for now.)

During last weekend I playtested this starter twice at the local convention in Warsaw (once with people playing rpg for the first time). It was quite ok, although of course I didn't use all the material from the starter.

I also made Fronts from this starter. I haven't included them because of the lack of space and I thought they are less important than other things.

Fronts are:
1) Guardians of the Temple (traps, Gargoyle, Gelatinous Cube, Bone Golem, Ular-Taman)
2) Rahib and Siswa (Rahib, Siswa, Black Panthers)
3) Witches and their minions (Skeleton, Giant spider, Karelena, Solorena, Trilena)
4) Others (bandits, elves, prisoners)

So, what do you think about it? :)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 03:57:04 PM by Ifryt »

Re: B7 Rahasia for Dungeon World
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 03:12:49 PM »
I dig it!

I think those monsters look good for a first level group. If they don't level up before they get to the Golem, that would be a particularly deadly fight, but that's cool.

I would make the questions a bit more punchy: Tell them they're at the Temple of Grey Mountain, then ask:
1. You told the elves of the nearby village that you were here to help by reclaiming their temple from the forces of evil. Was that true or are you here for the magical Black Opal and the rest of the temple's treasures?
2. Why have you sworn to find the evil cleric Rahib who now rules here?
3. Why is the legendary beauty of Rahasia important to your quest?
4. In the shrine to an ancient sage killed by three witches that lay near the path to the Temple, what horrible truth about the Temple was revealed to you?

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 03:19:35 PM »
You might want to give more info on the plot of the original adventure in the descriptions of the monsters btw. How do Karelena, Solorena and Trilena (the three witches from the questions?) relate to Rahib's usurpation of the Temple, and what does Rahasia have to do with anything?

Ifryt

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 03:53:19 PM »
Yes! Your version of the questions is clearly better! If you don't mind, I'll swap them in the file.
And I'll add a short paragraph with the most important points of the plot.

The fight with the bone golem can easily be avoided if PCs are wearing monk robes. :)

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 05:53:46 PM »
I think the trick to good questions is to suggest an angle, but easily allow for multiple answers and subversion.

"Why do you want to marry the princess?" Suggests affection, but it could easily be for power, a sense of duty, a scheme to rob the king, or even, as I've had one player say, to get revenge on the king because he'd hate to see his daughter married to that character!

Then if the player doesn't have a good idea they can go with what it suggests and incorporate that into their character, or if they have a good idea they can throw in an awesome curve-ball. I love it when players throw me curve-balls :D

And yes, feel free to put in my questions, or modify them as you like.

Since there really is a plot here, have you considered including a dungeon front? I'm not sure where it would go layout wise... perhaps where the dungeon moves are?

Ifryt

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 07:13:09 AM »
Ok, I modified the starter a bit. Changed questions, added background.

Starting play with questions is, I think, the best way for including players' choices and not spending too much time on standard issues (a tavern, a dark robed stranger giving quest etc.) Preparing right questions is art. :)

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 12:20:42 PM »
Exactly! It's like starting the plot almost in medias res.

Nice work on the conversion; I want to run it!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 12:33:05 PM by Anarchangel »