GM play-aid sheet

• 17 Replies

Ariel

GM play-aid sheet
« on: February 07, 2012, 03:09:37 PM »
Just the Principles, Moves, on the fly Monster creation and a big list of names on a landscape legal, one-sided.

Nothing fancy, just thought I'd share it.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19044994/DM%20sheet.pdf

Re: GM play-aid sheet
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 03:40:29 PM »
Some of those names are terrible (or elven).

Ariel

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 04:12:55 PM »
Fucking Roflball Lor-roth'il.

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 04:26:56 PM »
I see another advocate for variable monster damage! :D

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 04:35:43 PM »
Thanks for this! I'll be using it this evening for my game. I'm liking the variable Damage, HP listings, it goes to my desire for variable creatures without adding too much to my processing ability on the fly.

Ariel

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 04:38:40 PM »
I like it a lot; fixed DMG is not so much boring but more metagamey somehow. Which is great in other games but if the characters are doing random DMG, I think the Monsters should be too. And random HP.

Randomness really breaks the gamist/tactical mode of play by allowing PC to both gamble heroically on slim odds and win sometimes, but also by making encounters with the same Monsters more intense and risky.

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 04:46:35 PM »
Exactly.  There's not much of a decision of whether to charge into battle when you know with 100% certainty that one hit from the monster will kill you.  But if it's up to the dice ... then all sorts of drama becomes possible :)

I'd be interesting in hearing the argument FOR static monster damage.  What does it bring to the game that resulted in that being the rule?

noofy

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 07:31:32 PM »
Exactly.  There's not much of a decision of whether to charge into battle when you know with 100% certainty that one hit from the monster will kill you.  But if it's up to the dice ... then all sorts of drama becomes possible :)

I'd be interesting in hearing the argument FOR static monster damage.  What does it bring to the game that resulted in that being the rule?

It means one more roll to make? I love the fact that there is no Dice rolling for the GM in *W. Just decisions.  Its not up to the dice, its up to the GM. You are a fan of the characters right? You ask questions and use the answers right? You re-incorporate previously established fiction, yeah? So DON'T make the damage of HP static. The amount of damage that a monster deals (or their HP) is just a guide until established in the fiction. It is very easy to fictionally 'write in' variable damage or HP.

"Hey! I killed the last goblin with one blow, and he only dealt 5 damage!!,  why's this guy still standing?! And how come he brained me for 6 damage?! What's the deal?'

(Remember to address the character and perhaps announce impending doom or even put them in a spot)

'What do you think Fizbo? (the wizard) You have a commanding viewpoint from that ledge... Why is this guy still standing after having Groo slice him with his signature battleaxe?'

"Oh, yeah, you think I'm soft?! (bond with Groo) I shoulda mentioned *snicker*, that gobbo looks like he wrestles with wargs for fun."

'Sweet! So this fellow - I think the others who pushed him toward the front line are calling him 'Ugnought' - is built like a brick shithouse, (and despite the profusely bleeding wound you inflicted) looks like his mighty thews are quite capable of braining you with his rusty meathook for all sorts of bloody damage! What do you so?'

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 08:22:31 PM »

Yeah, you know that if it hits you, it'll kill you, but will it hit you? Roll to find out!

The random drama is there already, random monster damage merely adds another element of randomness.

And as Noofy says, the (G)M(C) don't roll dice in *W. I also vary the damage occasionally, in the manner he describes.

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 08:24:51 PM »
Thanks for sharing, Nathan. Very useful!

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 09:30:42 PM »
"the (G)M(C) don't roll dice in *W"

That's what I thought, it's kind of a cultural norm in these games that the GM shouldn't roll any dice.

@noofy: What you say about the GM determining damage works well in theory, and if you have a group of players who are really cool with that.  But it has the potential for some messy side effects.  "Hey, why did you just kill me with full damage when you dealt half damage to Walton just 20 minutes ago??"  For me, this puts way too much fiat in the hands of the GM.  I like the added randomness of a damage roll.  After all, that's what the PCs have to do.

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 09:34:56 PM »
I would call it a design decision rather than a cultural norm. At any rate, the GM could always have the players roll their own or each others' damage.

noofy

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 07:35:10 AM »
I think the rules sum it up rather nicely :)
The GM's agenda is what they sit down at the table to do:
•Make the world fantastic
•Fill the characters' lives with adventure
•Play to find out what happens
Everything you say, create and do at the table and away from the table is to accomplish these three goals and no others. Things that aren't on this list aren't your goals. You're not trying to beat the players or test their ability to solve complex traps. You're not here to give the players a chance to explore your finely crafted setting. You're most certainly not here to tell everyone a planned story

Ariel

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 01:48:31 PM »
It's a meta-arch-aesthetic-principle decision on my part, not as the GM of DW but as like, a player of table-top games.

These principles are as follows:
1. Don't be a dick.
2. Make sure everyone is having fun.
3. Make sure it's the most fun possible.
4. Make sure you're also having fun.

Rolling the damage dice is fun for myself, but also fun for the players. Aesthetically, it makes it feel more like D&D. I randomize more than just the HP and DMG. I try and randomize pretty much everything. Also, the dice do decide somethings and like I their creative input as much as my own or those of the others at the table. If you wanna get all orthodox about it, you can disclaim decision making to the dice.  I do it a lot.

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 01:51:45 PM »
That's a bit obtuse, Noofy! How does that quote apply?