Using pre made adventures

• 8 Replies

Max

Using pre made adventures
« on: February 07, 2012, 11:49:32 AM »
Can you use pre-made adventures like, 'The Tomb of Horrors', or 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' with Dungeon World?

Re: Using pre made adventures
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 01:51:46 PM »
Absolutely!  It's pretty much my favourite thing to do for Con games.  I'm writing a full chapter for the very thing for our full release of the game, but here's what you can do in the mean time;

1) Read the adventure
2) Summarize the major elements you want to use into Fronts and Dangers
3) Re-draw the map, keep what you like, leave some space for filling in as you go
4) Create any custom monsters you might need.
5) Play.

Max

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 02:25:31 PM »
I'm thinking that's probably too much work. I mean that in a positive manner as well. DW looks like it could be run with zero to little prep.

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 03:01:43 PM »
DW handle's pre-made adventure material as well, for example The Bloodstone Idol is more or less a traditional adventure.  On the other end of the spectrum, I think the game totally handles zero-prep games.  The GM asks lots of questions and builds things on the fly based on the cool stuff in his head and the players' answers.   

It can be challenging to run a game 'without a net' though.  Check out one of the Dungeon Starters that I put together, for example The Goblin Hole.  They're designed to give you a bunch of thematically related material to work with so that you can just sit down and play at a moment's notice (but they don't get in the way of players' answers, they don't prewrite the story, and don't get in the way of the front mechanic that kicks in after your first session).

Max

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 03:54:49 PM »
Great stuff, I need all the examples I can get

Thank you

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 04:21:42 PM »
I'm working on a series of modules that follow the old Age of Worms Adventure Path from Dungeon magazine. I've found myself changing enough in them that I think I'm going to try putting them together into their own thing with all of the rules and such that you would need to sit down and play (with Sage and Adam's aproval of course) I'll be putting each one out individualy as I go along. First playtest is tonight with my home group and Saturday with my Skype group!

Max

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 04:37:20 PM »
Looking forward to it JB

noofy

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 07:08:09 PM »
Great stuff, I need all the examples I can get

Thank you

This thread might help?

Max