Beta: Bard

• 2 Replies
Beta: Bard
« on: January 31, 2012, 11:16:10 AM »

The bard's "Arcane Music" seems problematic. There should probably be some limitation on how frequently it can be used, or how often a given character can benefit. I assume benefits like "+1 forward to damage" cannot be accumulated, but that isn't clear.

Re: "Arcane Music", I would also propose an alternative for a roll of 7-9:
"You lose your artistic inspiration. Take -1 forward to Arcane Music until you experience a sublime moment of great beauty or other transcendent emotion."

"A Port in the Storm" doesn't seem specific enough to be a bard move. It seems more like an end-game move anyone could attempt.

noofy

Re: Beta: Bard
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 07:32:29 PM »
Port in a storm is a GREAT move. One of my players uses it all the time to arrange a fictionally justified NPC to give him what he needs narratively (either as player authoring on the direction of the story or to secure a fictional macguffin to achieve the party's goals).

It takes its cues straight from Burning Wheel's Circles mechanic and allows the players to invest in NPCs. I insist they suggest a bond with the introduced character too. The non Bard players may always take this move (from another playbook advance) but I also allow a defy danger move based on CHA to do exactly the same effect on a 10+. 7-9 causes complications (often an enmity clause). A miss is a hard move, usually meaning the NPC is not only an enemy of the PC, but has arranged for a little welcoming 'gift' to greet them....

In regards to Arcane Music, like with all moves, you need to do it to do it. So the fiction always comes first. +1 Forward is just that (to the next roll only) so if the player wishes to replicate the mechanical effect, they have to make the move again, perhaps fictionally justifying it by playing a very long epic ballad or somesuch. On that note, I've made the damage bonus +1damage dice. I don't think there is any need for a -1 ongoing penalty on a 7-9.

Though I often take cues from basic moves and put the player in a difficult spot or determine that the unwanted attention is from another PC (not the target of the Music), break strings on their lute or whatever. Fictionally embed the consequences, make the move snowball.

Re: Beta: Bard
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 01:43:10 PM »
I've seen a few bards with these moves in action now, and I love both Arcane Music and Port in a Storm (although I preferred the move in a previous version where the Bard got to make multiple statements about the dungeon rather than one about the town).

What is it about Arcane Music that you think is to powerful, davidw? Would you rather the Bard did something else in combat? Have you seen it in play? What happened?