Hi again

• 15 Replies

Max

Hi again
« on: January 31, 2012, 02:12:36 AM »
Hello again,

Popped on to see how development goes for the hard copy release. Is there a date?

Max

Re: Hi again
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 05:19:54 PM »
I'll take that as a no.

Ariel

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 06:40:13 PM »
Gen Con, I think.

Max

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 06:57:14 PM »
Thanks Nathan

Max

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 08:26:18 AM »
Why can't there be multiple types of the same class?

Would it affect the game if I allowed it?

Thanks

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 01:53:43 PM »
It's a thematic element, in Dungeon World, you're not "a fighter" you're "The Fighter" and having multiples of a class tends to dilute the game.  Dungeon World is a lot less tactical than the games it's inspired by, so overlap is going to be fictional overlap, which makes things much less fun.  Someone else is going to end up biting your style, as they say.

Max

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 02:27:39 PM »
Understood.

But it wouldn't break the game if two players each wanted to play a cleric?

What if there were, for example, a dwarven cleric and a human cleric?

noofy

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 06:16:59 PM »
G'day Max,
It won't break the game, but as Adam says, it will have fictional diluting effects. Although simply having the players choose a different race but still be a Cleric is encouraging some narrative variation potential, I would stipulate that the players have to choose different options from each other at every stage of not only chargen, but when they pray for spells and choose advancements too.

I would also encourage (through provocative questioning) how those choices are conflictory with the other cleric, encouraging character tension and thus resultant drama in the fiction.

This way you will get two clerics from widely disparate faiths, with not only distinctive 'looks' and signature trappings / armour / weapon, but covering the broad base of cleric moves too, giving the party a strong (albeit tense) 'faithful' focus.

I can see a strong religious theme coming out of play, and a story full of moral ambiguity. your monsters are your arrows remember? Make them challenge the clerics, be a fan of the characters and allow them to shine.

Max

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 04:41:04 AM »
Thanks for that.

As far as character improvement goes, what is there?

Hit point increase
New moves
Stat increase
Spells (for casters)

Anything else?

I'm wondering if the above will lead to a too short character campaign, wherein characters 'max out' to soon. For example, if you use the random roll method, you coudl end up with a stat at 18, and therefore no longer able to improve it. Or I'm plain wrong here.

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 06:03:35 PM »
That list looks complete to me.

... you could end up with a stat at 18, and therefore no longer able to improve it.

You could extrapolate out the table to give numbers for higher stats, but I wouldn't go beyond +3. At +3, you get a 10+ over half the time and the fun of *W games is the misses and 7-9 results.

Bear in mind that most classes use multiple stats, so one stat at 18 doesn't mean you can't use that stat increase usefully, by any means!

The awesome thing about leveling for me is getting to choose a sweet new move, and there are enough of those to keep you going for a while! Especially after you post an AP and get access to the adventurers guild; the Beta 1.1 goes up to level 10.

Max

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 06:11:11 PM »
Level 10 sounds ideal.

Do we know if there's an increase on 10 in the main release?

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 06:47:11 PM »
I thought at one point they were talking about 20 levels, but I don't know. I might be dreaming that up :D

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 08:38:42 PM »
Unless they tweak the level progression/XP rules, you'll have to be playing a LONG LONG time to get beyond 10th level!

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 08:47:12 PM »
Lengthy campaigns are a staple of the genre!

It should only take 20 sessions or so to get there with 7+level. That probably should be "only" for some groups. ;)

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 09:05:44 PM »
Did they change Level Up to 7 + Level?  In the Beta 1.1 it still says 10 x Level.  Agreed that if you use something like 7 + Level you won't have that problem :)