[rules question] dipping a character in and out of retirement?

• 3 Replies
[rules question] dipping a character in and out of retirement?
« on: December 03, 2011, 02:04:55 AM »
so we're about 8 sessions into a sweet campaign.
biff, the guy playing Diamond the Chopper, wants to take over as MC.

there seem to be 2 main options for Diamond:
- he could go off somewhere into the fiction (possibly on a gig or whatevs)
- he could use his next advance to (much more interestingly and plausibly) retreat safely into retirement
ok so probably retreat, then. that option is a superior source of fun! :)

question time!:
would it be weird or whatever to put Diamond into retirement while biff is the MC, and then un-retire him again?

also of note:
biff just purchased the Chopper advance, "get a holding (detail) and wealth", so Diamond is going to be at the head of a holding with lots going on, instead of merely the de facto head of a holding (really, its magistrate and chief of police) that's a pretty sleepy little place.
this could complicate things, but it might simply mean that Diamond becomes more of an elusive figure, and/or that the focus could shift away from using the town as the focus of play to using the town as a jumping off point to adventure.

this also means i could make a character! that is not something you necessarily need to know, but i'm excited about it :D

DWeird

Re: [rules question] dipping a character in and out of retirement?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 01:35:18 PM »
If biff doesn't want to resume playing after a bit, there's a third option - make Diamond a threat (with all that entails).

All of the options seem good, though. Try talking to biff and seeing which one he prefers, if you have no preference?

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 09:40:55 PM »
talking to him sounds perfect! tho it does mean i have to wait til monday to talk to him about it, but we don't play again for almost a week anyway.

i'd be very interested in the possibility of diamond becoming a threat altogether, but then he couldn't legit be retired to safety, right? would that be a problem, or would it be up to biff to decide whether he wanted Diamond to stay in safety?

DWeird

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 08:32:20 AM »
You look at threats through crosshairs, so yeah, it's either being a threat or being safe.

Again, that's not something you need to decide alone. Give him options, make sure he's aware of the consequences (Diamond in safety/"somewhere else" in the fiction" == we don't see much of him in play; Diamond as a threat == you need to start looking for ways for him to die), ask him to choose.

Your job is basically to give biff options and have him choose what he wants while simultaneously making sure the game will still be fun for the rest of the folk.

I'd deal with this straight at the table with everyone present, so if there are any questions or anything, you can take care of them right there.