About advanced advancement (uhlol)

• 3 Replies
About advanced advancement (uhlol)
« on: November 15, 2011, 11:31:34 AM »
I am eagerly hoping that our campaign would be long enough for us to get to choose "advanced advancement" options. :-) In the meantime, I have some questions about those.

1) Can you choose them more than once, or are they unique like "normal" advancement options?
2) Does the "retiring (to safety)" option keep the retired character safe from other PCs as well? Or can they say "Yessss! I was always afraid of going against you, but now that you are an NPC I just need 2-Harm to kill you!"?
3) Do the retired character's playbook(s) become free to choose after he retires, or do they stay "locked" in his honor?

lumpley

Re: About advanced advancement (uhlol)
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 12:30:55 PM »
1) Just once. (If you switch playbooks, it may reopen them, but see the rules for switching playbooks to decide.)

2) Safe from other PCs, yes. This may require the character to leave.

3) The "no duplicates" rule applies during initial character creation, not thereafter.

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 12:34:20 PM »
Whoops – cross-posted with Vincent.

1) Yes, they're unique. Eventually you should get the itch to create your own custom moves or other fun advancements in the spirit of the system.

2) In theory, this is fictional license to keep them out of the regular negotiations of the fiction.  The character shouldn't so much be unkillable as uninteresting to kill.  If someone retires to safety before the "uninteresting" threshold is reached, then it's probably not a good idea for them to be sticking around in the holding in the first place.

3) Playbooks do free themselves up once the given character is retired. There can never be two gunluggers at the same time, but there could be four or five over the course of a campaign. But Vincent says maybe there can be two gunluggers at the same time after a while...

Chroma

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 12:56:12 PM »
I am eagerly hoping that our campaign would be long enough for us to get to choose "advanced advancement" options. :-) In the meantime, I have some questions about those.

It took midway through the third session of one of my current campaigns for the Skinner to take advanced moves... that's what you get with Hot highlighted!  *laugh*

So, you may not have to wait long!
"If you get shot enough times, your body will actually build up immunity to bullets. The real trick lies in surviving the first dozen or so..."
-- Pope Nag, RPG.net - UNKNOWN ARMIES