Changing character type

• 3 Replies
Changing character type
« on: November 07, 2011, 07:26:00 AM »
Under the "changing character type" option for advanced, uh, advancement, you read:

[The character]gGets everything belonging to her new life. Her new moves, as
she chooses them; her new gear and other new crap.

Does it mean, for example, that switching from any to Gunglugger allows me to choose three Gunlugger moves?

Re: Changing character type
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 11:22:26 AM »
The answer is a resounding "maybe". It depends on the situation and circumstances. I know there's a few threads on the topic around, I'll try to find some links for you.

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 06:27:26 PM »
I would say that its a definate 'yes'. The 'maybe' in changing character types has to do with the stuff you're giving up, not the stuff you're getting.

Chroma

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 06:33:43 PM »
I would say that its a definate 'yes'. The 'maybe' in changing character types has to do with the stuff you're giving up, not the stuff you're getting.

Again, there are no status quos in AW... you play to be true to the fiction, if that means less moves, or options, or, heck, *more* options, that's the way you play it; it's something that should be discussed between player and MC... there are no hard and fast rules.

Example, someone in one of my games changed to Hardholder and they were limited to taking over the gang that was in play in the story, which resulted in having a gang that couldn't be made using the choices in his new playbook.
"If you get shot enough times, your body will actually build up immunity to bullets. The real trick lies in surviving the first dozen or so..."
-- Pope Nag, RPG.net - UNKNOWN ARMIES