Why I hate Apocalypse World

• 12 Replies

Chroma

Why I hate Apocalypse World
« on: November 07, 2011, 09:05:32 PM »
This past weekend was the third instalment of our local gaming convention Hammercon.

I planned to be running a wargaming event, EPIC: Armageddon, but it fell through in the end and, at 11:00pm Friday night, one of the con organizers asked if I'd be up to running a slot of Apocalypse World the next morning; I said "sure!", because I've been in love with AW for a long time and I like to spread that love.

So, I printed playbooks (including The Faceless), re-read some rules, got some scrap paper and pencils, and showed up bright and early the next morning.  My session sign-up sheet had filled in minutes... all with newcomers to AW!  I got to my assigned table, settled in, greeted the players and handed out the playbooks.  After a few brief explanations we started a "First Session" and then...

...something terrible happened...

I got to meet Crimson Absinthe, of the drug-making Absinthe clan, near-naked, chain-swinging Battlebabe, with hints of an incestuously competitive relationship with her little sister, and dreams of being a kingmaker.

There was also Jag, the Driver of the Harmbulance, aka Bertha, a spike-festooned, armour plated ambulance, moving from holding to holding, breaking hearts and heads with...

Rover, the tall, stick thin, twitchy, Gunlugger, suffering from a severe vitamin-c addiction due to neurological experiments performed on him by his insane uncle, an addiction only kept at bay by a rapidly decreasing supply of tinned oranges.

All in the employ of the Hocus Ruger, the Rapemast... Ringmaster of the all female, tattooed, contortionist extravaganza the Circus of Discord, riding the roads and spreading lust and debauchery at every stop in between.

I met them as they were just rolling up to the holding of New Hope... and got to see just a glimpse of their insane exploits... before time was called and their players scattered to the winds...

I fell in love with these sick fuckers... and they were snatched away from me... I'll never get to find out what happened after they kicked over the figurative anthills around them... don't know who Rover will side with... or if Jag has found his true love... or why Ruger is so attached to his top hat... or what the hell is going on with Crimson and her sister... I want to play to find out... and now I can't...

Apocalypse World is a cruel, cruel game, and playing single sessions at conventions can break an MC's black, withered heart...

I hate you Apocalypse World... please hold me forever.
"If you get shot enough times, your body will actually build up immunity to bullets. The real trick lies in surviving the first dozen or so..."
-- Pope Nag, RPG.net - UNKNOWN ARMIES

Re: Why I hate Apocalypse World
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 11:01:16 AM »
Ruger had to choose 2 harm or have his priceless Top-Hot stomped... the choice was obvious! ; )

Yeah, It was awesome... Way to short as you said

I'd be very happy to continue the game...if we can't get those guys together in future, Perhaps the Circus of Discord could appear in one of your other Hacks Chroma!  ; )

noofy

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 09:19:16 PM »
Ooooh, sounds awesome Chroma! AW does make for some fine chargen. All those lists and streamlined choices don't seeem to limit the characters at ALL. They always come up unique and varied when we play the first session too.

Great situation / setting / characters! :)

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 02:11:39 PM »
So the provocative title of the thread bespeaks the problem of AW being such a tease.

Which it is, even after you've played through a 16-17 session campaign, really.

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 05:57:33 PM »
I was all ready to go off on a troll here, only to find the "troll" is my own damn MC!!

Sneaky Chroma...sneaky!!

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 11:17:17 PM »
So the provocative title of the thread bespeaks the problem of AW being such a tease.

Which it is, even after you've played through a 16-17 session campaign, really.

I hate Apocalypse World because I had to move to another state.

-JC

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 11:56:00 AM »
I hate Apocalypse World because I can't find an occasion to play Apocalypse World.

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 06:39:57 PM »
I hate Apocalypse World, because it's ruined all other Roleplaying games for me.

Chroma

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 06:57:05 PM »
I hate Apocalypse World, because it's ruined all other Roleplaying games for me.
Even Lady Blackbird?!?  OH NOES!

I'm crawling back to AW again this weekend, like an abused spouse...
"If you get shot enough times, your body will actually build up immunity to bullets. The real trick lies in surviving the first dozen or so..."
-- Pope Nag, RPG.net - UNKNOWN ARMIES

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 08:23:01 PM »
Damn you Chroma for running this game during the slot I was running my game of Chronica Feudalis! I had to look across the room and see your group playing a game I have been desperate to try out! From what Hanklevoncrankle told me afterwards it sounded like a great game! So jealous!!

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 12:26:10 PM »
Even Lady Blackbird?!?  OH NOES!

I'm crawling back to AW again this weekend, like an abused spouse...

Maybe I should ammend my statement.  I hate Chroma, because he's ruined all other MC/DM/GM's for me.

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 12:15:50 AM »
I hate Apocalypse World because we only play once every two weeks, and during the time between sessions IT'S ALL I THINK ABOUT

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 06:15:24 PM »
I hate Apocalypse World because it makes me want to keep our online games running 24-7 – while work and stuff makes that impossible!

(Oh, and also I miss the characters from all the one-shots.)