Amor Piercing and Armor Character Moves

• 12 Replies
Amor Piercing and Armor Character Moves
« on: November 07, 2011, 12:59:06 PM »
- Should Impossible Reflexes and Divine Protection stack?

- Does Armor Piercing from Ap Ammo go through Impossible R/Divine P/Daredevil? My gut says that Ap Ammo should go through physical barriers (Worn armor, vehicle armor) while most other sources of Armor Piercing (Getting hit by a vehicle, falling, Moves about surprise attacks, Brainer moves) should go through all armor.

- Should circumstances give ap to weapons against Impossible Reflexes? Such as if the person with Impossible R. had a gun to their head, or was being handcuffed while someone beat the crap out of them. (The Sin City Exception)

Re: Amor Piercing and Armor Character Moves
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 01:13:50 PM »
Impossible Reflexes and Divine Protection both give you a certain armor, not plus a certain armor.  I wouldn't ever stack those two.

I think circumstances modify the AP-ness of weapons in lots of ways -- add it to a knife when it's at someone's throat seems easy.  Taking it from a sniper-rifle when shooting at the battlebabe seems reasonable though I haven't done that.

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 02:05:28 PM »
Remember that you should be a fan of the player characters and that denying the usefulness of their moves is opposite to that. I'd allow the Battlebabe's armor to apply against the sniper's shot, maybe like this: "So you missed the roll? Well, it looks like they had a sniper hidden on that rooftop. You see the sun's reflection on his optic a split second before the bullet scratches your skull; you turned just in time to avoid a direct hit! That would be 3-harm, minus 1 for your reflexes, for a total of 2. Make the harm move!"

lumpley

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 02:22:48 PM »
I'd let Divine Protection and Impossible Reflexes stack, I think, unless the text of the moves makes it clear they shouldn't (I don't happen to remember). 2-armor is excellent, but using up two moves to get it makes it more expensive than the gunlugger's or the quarantine's.

I always take AP to mean that you ignore armor, including the armor you get from moves not from physical armor.

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 02:25:24 PM »
I think it's bast not to diversify mechanics; as such, AP always means "ignore armor" and there aren't special types of AP-ignoring armor.

DWeird

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 03:37:31 PM »
This is a bit of a tangent, but the armor moves are one of my favorite moves in the 'books. Both of them have purely fictional fiddly bits (as opposed to mechanical/rollable fiddly bits)...

Impossible reflexes, unlike any made-of-stuff armor you could get, allows you to decrease damage from acrobatic stunts, falling (jumping!) off a roof and the like. And you have to be wearing less stuff to make use of it. Neat!

Divine protection, unlike anything short of a savvyhead, allows you to decrease damage gotten from the maelstorm, brainer-types, or even ingested poisons. Also neat!

Oh, and Impossible reflexes plus Divine protection is actually 3-armor if you're walking around naked or near enough. The only other place I saw a possible 3-armor was a Driver's Tank option, so I dunno. Only character I can imagine that that wouldn't be incredibly silly on is a Touchstone that's a tad touched.

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 04:42:28 PM »
NEKKID DOOD WITH 3-ARMOR W000000TTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ROCK OUT WITH YOUR COCK OUT!!!!1!!!!eleventy-one!!!!!!!

Ariel

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 05:00:59 PM »
Neither kevlar nor speed nor God can stop a tungsten tip, ya moonbat.

And hell, if you decide to hide behind your concrete and shit, we've always got a 30mm depleted uranium slug with your name on it.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 06:22:24 PM by Nathan Orlando Wilson »

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 05:09:49 PM »
I declare this thread awesome.

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 08:16:56 PM »
I feel like the first two questions were answered well. Thanks guys! Any commentary on the last one?

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 04:33:12 AM »
If a hocus is in good standing with his gods, I'd give him the benefit of the armour in most any situation. It's only 1-armour, after all. And you don't slight the gods.

Otherwise, the rules are there to be applied when the fiction dictates, right? If a guy has a gun pressed to your head and all he has to do is pull that trigger to put a bullet into it, "the way you move unencumbered" is not so much help no more. Likewise, if one dude holds you down and another dude stabs you, no armour. But if somebody blows up your jeep and you leap clear, sure, why not? As long as you is movin' unencumbered.

DWeird

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2011, 10:59:15 AM »
Actually forgot, it's possibe to get even more armor in with Daredevil.

So as long as you're naked, protected by god, and disregarding the safety of yourself and those around you, you're pretty much only vulnerable to explosions that could level large buildings.

And teflon coating.

Adje

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2011, 06:49:43 AM »
Actually forgot, it's possibe to get even more armor in with Daredevil.

So as long as you're naked, protected by god, and disregarding the safety of yourself and those around you, you're pretty much only vulnerable to explosions that could level large buildings.

And teflon coating.

See, I want that to be true in the fiction. So I'd allow it to be. (c: