Diseased holding is diseased

• 4 Replies
Diseased holding is diseased
« on: November 08, 2011, 07:42:14 AM »
Between the options for the Hardholder's holding, you find these 2:

your population is large, 200-300 souls. Surplus: +1barter,
want: +disease.

and

your population is filthy and unwell. Want: +disease.

What happens if you take both? Do they stack, macking any outbreak something like the Plague?

Re: Diseased holding is diseased
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 04:07:25 PM »
What happens if you take both? Do they stack, macking any outbreak something like the Plague?

Horrible double-disease plague is exactly what I'd do if I was the MC.

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 05:13:23 PM »
If you do, though, make sure the player knows that when they make the choice!

They might be thinking, somewhat rightly, that there's no additional consequence. Don't make it a surprise! What honesty demands and all that, right?

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 09:18:00 PM »

You could also think of it as two different vectors or two different types of disease, each with its own attendant issues and likely solutions. I'm no epidemiologist but I am guessing that not all disease is created equal, and that the disease that flourishes due to filth may not be identical to the disease that flourishes due to overpopulation and close-quarters, etc.

In other words, these tags mean things in the fiction, and they result from specific choices (a larger population vs. a filthy population), so why not take the time to think about some specific possible consequences, rather than keeping it so abstract that when the time comes it's just 'disease plus ultra +++!!' without a clear connection to the problems of the holding.

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 02:29:52 AM »
Oh, nice. I like that!