Write a Playbook For a Hack Not Yet Written

• 13 Replies
Write a Playbook For a Hack Not Yet Written
« on: October 31, 2011, 04:51:40 PM »
So! I'd like to try some new cool thing.
Instead of building a whole hack or whatever, just post a single playbook. It can be from something your working on, or else just something you've thought about idly, or else something you made up on the spot (like the example I'll post). It should be recognizable as a "playbook" and should have clear AW ties, but can stray more or less from the basic model (mine doesn't stray very far).

If you'd like, leave a name or two for future posters to use, but it's not required. You can list out the basic moves if you'd like, or just hint at them where appropriate, but don't worry about writing them up - in fact, don't write up more than is necessary for the one playbook.

Post a link or just drop it here, your choice.

This is mostly just for fun, but maybe it'll help people get past mind-blocks on projects they're working on, or else inspire someone to make something cool.

Example (The Speaker of Bones): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-2qaG1vo33ydRflxAsGKrBMGNTA_bmc4zJ786fIeDQQ/edit

Thanks!
- Alex

Re: Write a Playbook For a Hack Not Yet Written
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 05:40:59 PM »
The EARTH MAN

BACKGROUND
You arrived on Planet Algol… (choose 1):
?   …a day or two ago…
?   …a week or two ago…
?   …a month or two ago…

…from… (choose 1):
?   …a Classical era…
?   …a Medieval era…
?   …a Modern era…
?   …a Post-Modern era…
?   …a primitive society…

…and you came here via… (choose 1):
?   …astral travel (you get alluring+2 and choose three spells).
?   …dreams, trance, or ecstatic visions (you get alluring+2 and weird+1).
?   …experiments of an unknown nature (you get alluring+1 and weird+1).
?   …physical transportation through space and time (you get alluring+2, weird-1, and up to four pieces of useful Earth gear).
?   …reincarnation (you get alluring+1, weird+1, and mark one improvement).

You were accompanied by… (choose 1):
?   …a large group of people, some of whom now depend on you.
?   …a small group of people, now scattered.
?   …no one, you came alone.
?   …one companion, who has disappeared.

You appear… (choose 1):
?   …equipped for travel, according to your era.
?   …naked but for mismatched and scavenged Algol clothes.
?   …richly attired, according to your era.
?   …strangely attired, according to your era.
?   …suitably attired, according to your era.

STATS
Pick one line:
?   mighty+1, resolute+1, wise-1
?   mighty-1, skilled+1, wise+1
?   resolute+1, skilled-1, wise+1

EARTH MAN CLASS MOVES
If you were subject to experiments, choose 3. Otherwise, choose 2:

? Daredevil: If you go straight into danger without hedging your bets, you get +1 armour. If you're leading a gang, it gets +1 armour too.

? Earth Science: You are possessed of special knowledge from Earth; choose a profession and write it on your sheet. When you employ your Earthly knowledge, roll+skilled. On a 10+, it works, just like it would on Earth! On a 7-9, it sort of works, but the MC will choose one or two:
? The best tools you can find are still inadequate.
? The results are only temporary, at best.
? Using Algolesian materials results in additional, unforeseen results.
? You need something that doesn't exist on Algol.
? You need trained assistants to help you.
With a miss, disaster! Your profession is:             

? Exotic and Foreign: When you spend time telling someone stories from or about your Earth, they become fascinated by you. Roll+alluring. On a 12+, hold 3 over them. On a 10 or 11, hold 2. On a 7-9, hold 1. They can spend your hold, 1-for-1, by:
? Doing something you want them to do.
? Fighting to protect you.
? Sticking up for you or your reputation.
? Warning you of danger.
For NPCs, while you have hold over them they can't act against you. For PCs, instead, any time you like you can spend your hold, 1-for-1, so that:
? They distract themselves with thoughts of Earth and must brave danger to take action or keep it together to remain still.
? They are inspired by thoughts of Earth. They take +1 right now.
On a miss, they hold 2 over you, on the exact same terms.

? Reputation: When you meet someone important (your call), roll+alluring. On a hit, they've heard of your strange origins, and you say what. On a 10+, take +1 the next time you make a roll dealing with them. On a miss, they've heard about you, but the GM will decide what.

? Strange Magick: Choose three spells or rituals. If you were physically transported or reincarnated, these are written in a spell book and memorized as normal. If not, they are unwritten and may not be taught to others, but are automatically re-memorized while you sleep.

? Well-Equipped: You get three additional pieces of useful Earth gear.

EARTH MAN SPECIAL
You get all 3:

? When you have time and solitude with another character, you may ask them, or their player, one question and they must answer truthfully. You may ask any question, as long as it is directed to, or about, that character.

? When you roll+resolute in order to save someone, roll a bonus die.

? When you roll+skilled to manipulate Earth technology, roll a bonus die.

GEAR
You get fashion according to your situation, including if appropriate a piece worth 1 armour or a low-tech hand weapon. Depending on your circumstances, you may also possess useful Earth gear.

Useful Earth Gear (choose according to origin and moves):
?   Assault rifle (3 harm close, autofire, loud).
?   Battle rifle (3 harm far, hi-tech-optional).
?   Big box of ammo.
?   Binoculars.
?   Chainsaw (3 harm hand, messy).
?   Designer body protection (detail) worth 2 armour.
?   Flashlight and batteries.
?   Handgun (2 harm close, loud) or two.
?   Kilo of drugs and works.
?   Medical kit, worth 2 stock.
?   Night-vision goggles and batteries.
?   Personal computer/phone.
?   Personal vehicle.
?   Rad-suit worth 1 armour.
?   Radio/recording device and batteries.
?   Rope and climbing gear.
?   Several grenades (4 harm hand, area, messy, reload) or C4 and detonators.
?   SMG (2 harm close, area, loud).
?   Steed or pack animal.
?   Valuables worth 1 fortune.

BONDS
? You see or have seen ________ in your dreams.
? You trust ________ the least.
? ________ gave you food and shelter when you had nothing.
? ________ is the first person you met on Planet Algol.
? ________ reminds you of home.
? ________ saved you from a common Algolesian man-killer.
? ________ showed you how to get high, Algol style.

Everyone else gets +1 bond with you. Your bewilderment is an open book. Unless you have been reincarnated, you get -1 bond with everyone else. You are not from Planet Algol and you do not understand.

EARTH MAN IMPROVEMENT
__ Get +1 mighty (max mighty+2).
__ Get +1 resolute (max resolute+2).
__ Get +1 skilled (max skilled+2).
__ Get +1 wise (max wise+2).
__ Get another Earth Man move.
__ Get a move from another playbook.

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 05:41:32 PM »
I've had half an idea rattling about at the back of my mind, inspired by a recent BBC series; see if you can guess which one from the not-too-subtle-clues.

The Shadow

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 01:47:16 AM »
Wow! Cool playbooks, guys. Here's one of mine...

Seeker (Intellect)

They say it’s a useless quest, and they say I’m a fool, and they say that some things are best left in the dark. Well, I’ve never been one to submit myself to here-say.

What are we seeking? The Truth in a world of darkness.

Stats: Intellect +2, and divide +1, 0, 0, -1 among Instinct, Passion, Rage, and Will. Detail Intimacies (specific people or things that your character deeply cares about and which tie him to his humanity) equal to 1+Passion. Choose Lores equal to 1+Intellect.

Choose a Profession and gain two appropriate Influence. In addition, when you dedicate a week of your Downtime to actively working at your profession, gain +1 of the appropriate Influence.
   -Detective (2 Police Influence)
   -PI (2 Street Influence)
   -Scholar (2 University Influence)
   -Occultist (2 Occult Influence)

Gain all the basic moves+Notes+Contacts:

Choose Type:
   -Arcanum Scholar: Gain Arcanum Status +1. Choose the college of the Arcanum that you are a member of and gain College Status +2.
   -Malkavian: Gain Malkavian Status +0. Choose Camarilla (Status +0) or Independent. Calculate Beast and gain 3 Clan Disciplines. Detail your derangement. Gain the move Listen to the Whispers:
      -Listen to the Whispers: When you allow yourself to listen to the strange cobweb whispers of your fellows (or perhaps it's just in your head?), Roll+Intellect. On a Hit, gain a piece of useful information about something going on elsewhere or else-when. On a 10+, the information is concrete. On a 7-9, it's vague, shrouded in symbolism.
   -Nosferatu: Gain Nosferatu Status +0. Choose Camarilla or Sabbot (Status +0). Calculate Beast. Detail your hideousness. Gain 3 Clan Disciplines. At the start of each session, state any one rumor you’ve heard; the MC will tell you whether it’s true or false and a little bit about why.

Notes: Choose the Look of your Notes: Pocket Notepad, Marble Notebook, Ancient Journel, carvings, abstract art, or perfect memory.
Your notebook starts with five questions. Two of these will be written by the MC at character Creation:
The other three can be any questions you choose that you do not know the answers to. At the start of each session, choose 1. If you discover the answer by the end of the session, Mark XP. If you don’t discover the answer, then the MC will present you with a new clue or insight into that question. Once per session, you may add a new question to your Notes. If you ever discover the answer to every question in your Notes and choose not to add a new one, immediately Change Playbooks.

Contacts: Detail 2-5 characters (Kindred, Mortal, or otherwise; PC or NPC) that owe your character a favor for digging up information for them. At bare minimum this includes a Type (what are they?) and a Capability (what can they do?)

Basic Advancements: When you Mark XP five times, or commit a Fall from Grace, gain a new level of Discipline or mark off one of the following advancements. When you have marked off five advancements, gain access to the second list.
-Take +1 to any stat (Max +3)
-Take +1 to any stat (Max +3)
-Gain the move “Working Relationship”
-Gain the move “The Office”
-Gain the move “Deduction”
-Gain the move “Library of the Bizarre”
-Gain the move “Serious Professional”
-Gain +1 Clan Status.
-Gain a new Intimacy.
-Gain a new Intimacy with one of your contacts/clients.

Ungiven Future:
      -Gain a Title within your Sect or Clan.
      -Advance 3 Basic Moves.
      -Create a second character to play.
      -Retire your character, either to Darkness or Safety.
      -Change Playbooks

Moves:
   -Deduction: When making a Read that relates directly to the question you’re currently trying to answer in your Notes, Ask +1 Question, even on a miss. You may attempt Read situations/people that you have interacted with in the past even after the fact.
   -Working Relationship: When you do a favor or job for someone, put them on your list of Contacts. You always count as having leverage over anyone on your list of Contacts for the purposes of Manipulate
-The Office: You have a space set out where people can come to you for your expertise. Whenever there’s a stretch of downtime, Roll+Intellect. On a hit, someone shows up there with the offer of a job. On a 10+, they’re offering something you really, really want or need in return.
-Library of the Bizarre: When you go into your personal collection (is it a computer database? A physical library? Detail) in search of rare Lore or Knowledge, Roll+Intellect. On a 10+ Ask 3. On a 7-9, Ask 2:
   -What is it?
   -What does it do?
   -What is it worth?
   -What is its weakness?
   -What do the stories of my people tell about it?
   -Where could I find out more?
   -Serious Professional: When you dedicate a week of your Downtime to actively working at your Profession, gain +2 Influence of the appropriate instead of +1. Gain the benefits of having at least one point in that Influence category even when you have 0 Influence.

Post a playbook for an unwritten hack
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 04:17:37 AM »
I just touched up a playbook so it's ready for playtesting, here:

It's the Alchemist from our Nobilis hack, found here.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 07:21:33 AM by Jonatan »

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 06:02:16 AM »
I was bored so I put this playbook together.

It's a jedi playbook designed for the Empire era (IV-VI). It has a dying move, because sex moves didn't feel appropriate.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/73337366/the-jedi

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 10:15:26 PM »
Greg,
Lightsaber duelist is absolutely inspired. Well done!

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 05:21:36 AM »
Heavily stolen from the Touchstone playbook but thanks ! A revised version should be due soon.

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 11:18:04 AM »
Yeah! Everything posted here has been cool and exciting, guys. I can provide more specific feedback if anyone's interested, but, for now, I'll say this:

Rock on!

:)

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 12:18:26 AM »
Johnstone,

I dig the Earth Man! It made me look up your World of Algol (a hack not yet written? hmmm?). It's a hot hack!

But this playbook has Bonds instead of Hx.... is this something you're planning to update in the World of Algol?

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 12:21:04 AM »
I also love The Jedi! The moves are really great.

(What does "move something you couldn't move with your two arms" mean? That you can move something really heavy, or is this a required choice to move something at all when it's far away?)

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 01:41:09 AM »
Thanks, Paul.

The Earth Man you see above is from World of Algol version 2. I played my original hack several times and it was hella fun, but the problem is that Planet Algol is meant for old-school D&D (and the custom playbooks I wrote reflect that), so there's a few things missing if I use straight-up AW rules (like "when you search a room" for example).

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2011, 06:46:21 AM »
I also love The Jedi! The moves are really great.

(What does "move something you couldn't move with your two arms" mean? That you can move something really heavy, or is this a required choice to move something at all when it's far away?)

Something that is really, really heavy. I'm still working on the wording of that one. And my english isn't as good as I'd like.

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2011, 11:26:19 AM »
Ah, good. I would have guessed as much, just wanted to make sure! It's a fantastic move, BTW.