Gigs and juggling

• 8 Replies
Gigs and juggling
« on: October 14, 2011, 03:13:09 PM »
A few questions about this mechanic:

1. When you're an Operator, or have the Moonlighting move, that's the only time you have to keep track of gigs and +juggling, right? Otherwise we just play it out, using the agenda and moves and everything, as normal.

Whenever you get a new gig, it says you add +1juggling. So, generally speaking, you'll always have the same number of gigs and juggling.

2. If you lose a gig somehow, do you end up having more juggling than gigs?

3. Do you ever have more gigs than juggling? If so, how can that happen?

Re: Gigs and juggling
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 09:23:06 AM »
Gigs and juggling are only a thing if you have moonlighting, true.  On the other hand, it's perfectly reasonable for the MC to simply give a dude the moonlighting move if he's done the work of setting up a couple of regular gigs, right?

I believe operators typically have more gigs than juggling, don't they?  They start with 3 gigs?  Plus an obligation gig?  And still just 2-juggling.  People who pick up "moonlighting and 2 gigs" probably won't run into that, but if you have more gigs than juggling you just pick which ones you're going to work.  Juggling just shows how many gigs you can have going at a time.

And you can work fewer gigs than your juggling, right?  Gigs left on the table because your juggling is lower than your number of known gigs work just the same as gigs that you simply chose not to work because you didn't want to work gigs up to your full juggling.

If you truly lose a gig, you could end up having more juggling than gigs, technically.  But I think usually you wouldn't lose the gig, but just get shut out of it and need to find a new place to work it (and until then, you just can't choose that gig when you're picking which gigs to work).

Like, if you were in compound defense, you still know how to do that even if the compound is a smoking ruin ... if you find someone else with a nice compound that needs defending, maybe you can sign up with them and start working that gig again.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 09:27:40 AM by Michael Loy »

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 07:31:36 PM »
Ah, right! I misread that:

An operator starts with 2-juggling, 3 gigs, and one obligation gig.

And you get more juggling if you get more gigs, according to the moonlighting move.

So, unless you somehow lose a gig, you always have 2 more gigs than you have juggling.

That right now?

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 01:19:47 AM »
One thing that I'm confused about: does the Operator choose whether to work their Obligation Gig? That's how I read it. And I've always wondered (I've never played an Operator past one session) if there's any downside to choosing not to work it. That just means nothing comes of it, right? Which means you can completely avoid your Obligation as long as you like.

Or am I missing something?

Peace,
-Joel

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 05:14:38 AM »
How long can you ignore an obligation before it bites you in the ass?

"Look, even I get boarded sometimes..."

Chroma

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 10:30:14 AM »
Which means you can completely avoid your Obligation as long as you like.

Or am I missing something?

An unworked obligation gig is a golden platter for the MC...  might be more detailed in the Operator's moves explanation section or under the gigs section...

I am *SOOOO* happy the Operator in my current game slept with one of the Hardholder's most trusted lieutenants...
"If you get shot enough times, your body will actually build up immunity to bullets. The real trick lies in surviving the first dozen or so..."
-- Pope Nag, RPG.net - UNKNOWN ARMIES

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 12:19:13 AM »
I guess what trips me up is, "the Obligation bites you in the ass" is basically the result of working the Gig with a Catastrophe result. Without that, it would be obvious: there's this Obligation, and if you don't work to keep it off your back you're handing the MC an opportunity on a silver platter. But with that Catastrophe clause it seems like dirty pool to bring it in unless the character has actually netted Catastrophe.

I guess...I could look at it as, working it with a Catastrophe is an immediate, certain ass-biting, whereas simply ignoring it means it'll catch up with you someday, somewhere, unpredictably as the MC sees fit. That about right?

Peace,
-Joel

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 04:36:45 AM »
Yes. I know I've read good examples of different gigs somewhere, like "Avoiding someone" had
- Success: you keep away, maybe even get the good news that they're out of town or something
- Catastrophe: they found you and you wake up from the sound of their footsteps in the staircase leading up to your hideout, what do you do?
- Unworked: you get a tip from Roark that they were at the Rosebud just last night, asking about you. They didn't get any answers, but they stuck around.

So yeah, unworked is an opportunity for the MC to bring it into play, but not a catastrophe-level screwage from the start.

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 12:57:41 AM »
It's in the book!  Towards the end of the Crap chapter, after the guns and the holds, it talks about gigs.  The obligation gigs clearly spell out what the MC should be thinking about if the gig goes unworked.