Pimp a playbook to me!

• 4 Replies
Pimp a playbook to me!
« on: October 19, 2011, 09:02:25 PM »
So I want to add a playbook to my Apocalypse World game this Thursday. Right now it has just the base 10, but I want to add the LE playbooks + my own + Groteque + something else for an even extra 10.

So I figured I would give people the chance to have someone else use their thing and talk about it (In frenzied hyperbole as I describe most phenomena.)

I have a couple of stipulations about what I think a good playbook is. The playbook that fits these stipulations will probably be the one I choose.

Is it most definitely from the Apocalypse? Like things that exist because of the apocalypse like the Grotesque or the Hocus or that are only a big deal due to the apocalypse like the Driver? +3 points.
Is it not from the apocalypse, but in a neat way that takes that into account like the Quarantine? +2 points.

Is it sexy? +2 points
Is it scary? +1 point
Is it fun? +1 point

Is it based mostly on a tight cluster of supernatural powers? -2 points
Does that cluster of supernatural powers almost guarantee that you are a bad person, like the Brainer? +3 points.

Does it add new responsibilities for the character? +1 point
Does it give the character substantial ability to ignore/avoid conflicts that most characters can't? -1 point

Re: Pimp a playbook to me!
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 09:36:46 AM »
I'd love to see you score some of the playbooks you have access to (mine, for instance, but not exclusively).  Things like: sexy, scary and fun are largely subjective.  And all three of the brainers that I've seen in actual play have been relatively "good" people.  Also, I love scoring instruments (that's what I did in grad school).  :)

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 09:38:37 AM »
Hi, evilseanbot!

I'd like to offer up, for consideration, my own little project, The Traveller.

The Traveller is a playbook for people who go from one place to another; if your game is heavily focused on one location, without opportunity to move from place to place, this may not be a good option. That said, there are still some interesting bits, and someone may enjoy playing it.

The Traveller is also good for people who move from place to place, in real life. This is kind of a strange one, and I'll assume it doesn't apply to your group.

It's a character that's sharp and a little strange, who carries with him memories and history wherever he goes. As employment or for a living, a traveller might work as a guide, deliveryman, diplomat, or scrounger.

The traveller has some unusual mechanics, but they aren't overly central to the way the playbook works. If you or your players are interested in such things, it might be a good fit.

In response to your "points" scheme:

Is it most definitely from the Apocalypse? Like things that exist because of the apocalypse like the Grotesque or the Hocus or that are only a big deal due to the apocalypse like the Driver? +3 points.
--> Not directly, but there are some moves that relate to this. Plus, at least one of the influences is The Postman (the book; never saw the movie), so in a meta- way it is from an apocalypse.

Is it not from the apocalypse, but in a neat way that takes that into account like the Quarantine? +2 points.
--> I wouldn't say specifically so, no.

Is it sexy? +2 points
--> I guess this is a personal definition type thing, but I wouldn't have written it if I didn't find the ideas attractive!

Is it scary? +1 point
--> The character itself isn't really scary, no, but the playbook might be (in what I consider a good way).

Is it fun? +1 point
--> It is my definite hope.

Is it based mostly on a tight cluster of supernatural powers? -2 points
--> Not at all. There's nearly nothing supernatural about it, except for the very weird implication that the traveller can somehow move between apocalypse worlds.

Does that cluster of supernatural powers almost guarantee that you are a bad person, like the Brainer? +3 points.
--> NA

Does it add new responsibilities for the character? +1 point
--> I would say that a number of the moves do.

Does it give the character substantial ability to ignore/avoid conflicts that most characters can't? -1 point
--> I really don't think so.

If you'd like to tell me more about yourself or your group, I can more easily recommend this (or not). I can also answer any questions you may have.

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 10:51:03 PM »
C.Weeks: I'd give the Witch +3 points (+2 Sexy, +1 Fun). I think my last criteria is actually kind of hard to judge outside of play (I'd give that -1 to the Driver definitely, but I've seen the Driver in play) its -possible- that access to as broad supernatural abilities as The Witch has would allow you to sidestep responsibility (Don't shank people directly, have nature do it!) but I don't know that.

The harshest judgement I'm making it is not giving it 3 points from 'Definitely being from the Apocalypse'. I'd say that's mostly a symptom of the base character concept not being a clearly apocalyptic trope like the Faceless, Chopper or Hocus, while not having specific color in it to become more apocalyptic like the Hardholder, Operator or Maestro.

If I redid the point system, I'd give you +1 points from "Seems like it fits in the apocalypse". So +4 points is for my totally-made-up-this-second system.

Also, someone recommended me the Feeder, can someone that can hook me up with that send me a PM?

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 02:23:26 PM »
Oh, and I wanted to pimp what was my favorite of the unofficial playbooks I've seen so far, The Grotesque

From the Apocalypse: +3 (Obviously)
Fun: +1 (Nesting Drones.)
Scary: +1 (Nesting Drones.)

+5 points! If it was a leperous but still charming (Sexy) mutant school marm doing her best to protect her students (Added responsibilities) it'd get more points. Someone should really write that expansion.