When you end the campaign, detail an epilogue [custom move]

• 4 Replies
When you end the campaign, detail an epilogue [custom move]
« on: October 08, 2011, 07:28:35 AM »
Assuming each of the characters has defined something they struggle to be and something they struggle to do (internal and external goals):

When the final session of your game comes to an end, roll + something (not sure yet)

On a 10+, choose 2. On a 7-9, choose 1:
-You are not killed by one of your struggles
-You make meaningful progress in your struggle to do
-You demonstrate that you have become what you struggled to be

On a miss, your death is connected to failure in one of your struggles.

This move is intended to allow each of the players to narrate an epilogue showing when / where / how the surviving characters met their end.

Re: When you end the campaign, detail an epilogue [custom move]
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 10:12:28 AM »
This is very slick!

I like it.

I'd be tempted to make the roll something like:

roll, +1 for each significant sacrifice you're prepared to make. (Maybe these are threatened on a miss, maybe they're just sacrifices, period.)

But that may be overdoing it, I dunno.

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 05:54:48 AM »

The game is over, why not just let them narrate an epilogue of their choosing?

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 02:15:05 PM »
Having thought about it some more, if this is used, the player should get to choose which stat to roll based on whatever criteria they want.

In response to Daniel Wood's question - I'm sure a lot of AW games would end better without an epilogue, and many would work better with a totally open one. I find it's easier to improvise story when I'm working with some constraints. Also, many of the games I like have a game ending procedure defined. I don't think Apocalypse World should have a single officially correct answer, but I do think it would benefit from having options laid out.

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 09:52:11 PM »

Fair enough, though that rule seems a little too general to offer significant constraints. Obviously the players are bringing most of the detail to it through their choice of struggles.

When I first saw the thread title it made me think about writing custom epilogue moves for the end of a particular campaign. That way the move would be appropriate to whatever the main concerns had been, though it would not necessarily be specific to each character.

Of course you could write a custom epilogue move for each character, but I like the idea of formalizing something of the campaign's flavour through a particular move.