Hardholder rules question

• 6 Replies
Hardholder rules question
« on: September 25, 2011, 01:55:15 PM »
Hard holds have gigs, often more than one.

Does a hardholder make two rolls at beginning of a session?  One for their Wealth roll and a separate one for any additional gigs, or are all the gigs pooled together into one Wealth roll?

lumpley

Re: Hardholder rules question
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 01:59:01 PM »
Just the one roll.

(Oh don't operators wish they had wealth instead of moonlighting! Their life would be so much easier.)

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 02:18:36 PM »
Thank you!  I thought that might be the case but wasn't sure.

I have an additional rules question.  (Doing prep for second session today but have never seen a hardholder before in all my games)

It looks like on a 7-9 the hardholder chooses one want in addition to getting surplus, yeah?

On a miss I'm guessing the MC chooses?  And maybe they choose one but maybe they choose more than one or just one?  I'm pretty certain it's not all wants by default.  Like the hardhold doesn't go from getting by to (in the case of our game), having hungry, disease, savagery, idle & reprisals!

lumpley

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 02:33:26 PM »
Oh, it's all the wants at once!

It's easy, though. Just put a human face on each one, and often it's the same face on two or three of them. Honeytree's come down with the wasting cough so the still's down so Nucker and Fallow are sittin' idle so their families don't have food, that kind of thing.

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 02:45:39 PM »
Wow, having a hardholder really changes the nature of the game and/or any given session.

I see I have a little more prep to do for tonight; I'll definitely need to have some ideas on tap in the event of a missed Wealth roll.

In addition to an angel, we have a hocus and a operator, so we have a total of three beginning of session rolls and then I have to try to interpret what they all mean.  It's potentially a lot of fodder and I'm not the quickest on my feet.

My last two campaigns, by contrast, had either no such roll, or only "Bonefeel" (which you can hold off on a bit to think of how you might incorporate on a miss).

Thanks again, Vincent.

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 12:13:51 AM »
Savagery is the best want.  You get to have people eat each other's limbs.

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 01:45:58 AM »
It also turns out that "idle" can be much more serious than it sounds. :)