Experiences with custom playbooks?

• 4 Replies
Experiences with custom playbooks?
« on: July 22, 2011, 11:25:42 PM »
So, hey, who's made new playbooks AND ACTUALLY PLAYED THEM?

How'd that go?

(this is a companion thread to my 'here are some experiments in playbook design' thread)

Re: Experiences with custom playbooks?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 12:18:32 AM »
Last time I played AW, one of my fellow players used one of my custom playbooks for a few sessions. It seemed to work alright, but there wasn't anything in that playbook that was super-crazy or nuthin. We wrapped up that game soon after, as well, so it wasn't really long term play.

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 12:38:13 PM »
One of my players is using a playbook of my design in our current campaign, but not one I've posted here yet. It's going smoothly so far; I'll post it up after a few more sessions with some AP notes.
The Dead Flag Blues - Godspeed You Black Emperor! This is my Apocalypse World theme song.

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 06:49:42 AM »
In one game I'm playing in, one of the players is playing a Ruin Runner. In another, one of the players is playing a Tribal. Both characters are pretty fuckin' awesome, though there are things I'm personally of a mind to pick apart. (That said, between the two, the Ruin Runner seems a little more debugged, even if canny needs a layer of polish to bring it in line with existing Hot-replacement moves.)

I'd like to try the scholar, but it's not quite in alpha yet and the maker seems a little absent.

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 09:24:00 PM »
I've seen both my Juggernaut and Feral Kid in play, although both it was for a one-off convention games.

In both cases, they ended up doing the sort of thing I intended.

The juggernaut was the spearpoint of the hardholder's gang, and that game ended up with them trying to wipe out a rival holding, so there was plenty of action for everyone involved.

The feral kid did lots of sneaking around and finding stuff out, and when he picked someone to attach himself to, he helped them out in a few critical moments.