cliffhanger and between session moves?

• 4 Replies

NilsH

cliffhanger and between session moves?
« on: September 16, 2011, 12:31:15 PM »
We ended one session with a cliffhanger. The seriously hurt characters are hiding in a dark barn, and something smashes the door open and enters with a roar. END OF SESSION

Now. The characters are an operator and a hardholder.

Would you in the beginning of next session make them roll Moonlighting and Wealth, or would you skip it?

Neither the Hold nor the crew is nearby.

Re: cliffhanger and between session moves?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 12:34:57 PM »
I'd say you need downtime in this kind of situation.

NilsH

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 01:33:05 PM »
Thanx!

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 01:37:57 PM »
I think either option is cool. Personally, I'd make them roll. It impacts what resources the Hod and crew have to rescue their sorry asses. If they roll high, sweet, and maybe help's on the way. If they roll low, then what do you know, things are even worse than they thought.

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 03:30:16 AM »
Both moves have other qualifiers than "start of session, if it feels right". Moonlighting explicitly needs downtime, but doesn't care about sessions. Skipping a week in-session is the kind of things the Operator loves, but if less than a day has passed since last session, nothing happens. Everyone does stuff "on-screen", but the Operator is special because he, by default, keeps doing stuff off-screen, whenever that is.

Wealth needs a secure position or whatever, and can admittedly become a bit weird, especially if you let the barter from the surplus accumulate. I'd say that "having surplus at hand for the session" and "surplus: 2-barter (you're personal share)" combines to make "you can grab up to 2-barter from just around your compound without anyone caring, but if you don't use it during the session, it doesn't automatically go into your personal hoard." And if you play that in mind, the hardholder can roll for Wealth pretty much regardless of time passed since last time, as long as his hold is secure and his rule unchallenged.