New playbook (draft): The Metal Beast

• 36 Replies
Re: New playbook (draft): The Metal Beast
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2010, 10:53:52 AM »
Mike, my initial reaction was kind of like "whoah, 3 armor all over the place is totally ridiculous, that won't work!" but then the more I thought of it, the more I realized that the game's fiction would just have to adjust to compensate if it gets out of hand. So, like, hey look, that hardhold over there? It's an abandoned national guard armory. Grenade launchers and heavy machine guns like whoah. If you've already got a fella in power armor stomping around, I don't imagine your game is going to be of the grubby crossbows and hockey pads variety :)

lumpley

« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2010, 11:03:09 AM »
I know that the armor section in the crap chapter mentions 3-armor specifically, as a thing that nobody starts with but that exists. I hope that the bit about savvyheads and vehicles does too. 3- and 4-armor isn't game-breaking, you just have to hit it with a truck or a rocket propelled grenade or something.

Bret

« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2010, 11:36:05 AM »
Or catch them alone and attack them with a small army.
Tupacalypse World

« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2010, 01:26:30 AM »
I know that the armor section in the crap chapter mentions 3-armor specifically, as a thing that nobody starts with but that exists. I hope that the bit about savvyheads and vehicles does too. 3- and 4-armor isn't game-breaking, you just have to hit it with a truck or a rocket propelled grenade or something.

Heh, or line up a few situational downsides for the MC to exploit that could be taken to balance the good stuff *(and make the Metalhead's life interesting)

"Turtle: Your suit's only Armor-3 on the front and sides. If someone can get up your ass, it's only Armor-1"

"Lost the Lid: Your hardsuit's totally bitchin', but it didn't come with a helmet. Any time you take Harm from an Area weapon, it only provides Armor-1."

...or similar?

-Jim C.

Chroma

« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2011, 09:49:18 PM »
Okay, finally had a Juggernaut show up in a game... and they took a flame thrower...

Anyone got any details on what the "fire" tag does, or does the MC just fan the flames?  *laugh*
"If you get shot enough times, your body will actually build up immunity to bullets. The real trick lies in surviving the first dozen or so..."
-- Pope Nag, RPG.net - UNKNOWN ARMIES

« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2011, 09:55:24 PM »
When I was running my World of Algol hack, one of the people playing a robot took a flamethrower, it was pretty cool. Things caught on fire! One of the other characters had some problems with smoke inhalation and lost his handgun.

« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2011, 11:30:14 PM »
Yeah, that's a longer way of what my official answer would be. The fire tag means stuff gets set on fire.