Red Book wizard and multiclass

• 2 Replies
Red Book wizard and multiclass
« on: August 04, 2011, 07:35:37 PM »
First, there's a contradiction in the text.  On p52, we see: "When you spend uninterrupted time [...] prepare new spells of your choice from your spellbook whose total levels don’t exceed your own+1."

p56, then, tells us: "When the Wizard Prepares spells they choose spells from their spellbook whose total level is less than or equal to the Wizard’s level."

I assume that the first quote is the correct one, and the second one just got missed in editing?

But that's just an editing note.  I'm playing a fighter, and I'm picking up the new Multiclass Dabbler to gain wizard spellcasting.  There's a slightly odd thing that happens if you do this later on in your career, and I'm not sure if this is intentional, or if it's just a oddity of the wording:

Say I'm a 5th level fighter, and I'm just now taking Multiclass Dabbler (wizard spellcasting).  With the new version of the move, I count as a 4th level wizard.  I can prepare 5 levels worth of spells (plus cantrips), and I'm considered 4th level for the spells where that matters.

I also get a spellbook.  However, it appears that I still only have the starting spellbook, with 3 first level spells ... I have the spellbook of a 1st level wizard, not a 4th level wizard:

You have mastered several spells and inscribed them in your spellbook. You start out with three first level spells in your spellbook as well as the cantrips. Whenever you gain a level, you add a new spell of your level or lower to your spellbook. You spellbook is 1 weight.

Because the wording is that I start with 3 spells and only automatically add spells on leveling.  (Instead of saying, maybe, "For each level you have above 1st, you add ...)

Is that the intention?  It would leave me in the odd situation of being able to prepare 5 levels of spells while only knowing 3 levels of spells.  Though my GM could always let me loot spell scrolls to expand my book.  Still, odd.

Can you prepare multiple instances of a certain spell, like in D&D?  I seem to recall mention that you can't, but I haven't been able to relocate that.

sage

Re: Red Book wizard and multiclass
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 05:13:13 PM »
D'oh! We missed that in editing indeed. It's supposed to be level+1 (you'll also find it as level+1 on the playbooks).

As the fighter, if you multiclass in, go ahead and start your spellbook as if you were a wizard of that level.

Also, you can totally prepare the same spell twice. It's like insurance: you can forget it once no problem.

Re: Red Book wizard and multiclass
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 02:17:13 PM »
Cool, thanks.