Play Aids Index

• 27 Replies
Play Aids Index
« on: August 01, 2011, 03:27:07 PM »
Hey, so, since the AW book is sort of sparse in terms of useful play aids, I thought it'd be nice to offer a place on the forum for fan-created aids, sheets, and stuff.

Rules for this thread:

- Only post items for unhacked Apocalypse World. If you have new playbooks, post them somewhere else! Your maps, post them somewhere else! We only want stuff that has wide vanilla accessibility here.

- Label your links. Don't just toss up a filename and hope that we know what you mean by it.

- Say how to use your thing!

Suggestions for play aids:

- Use fonts that coordinate with the book. See Johnstone's (abridged) tips and my notes below:

The distressed fonts are VTKS Good Luck For You (S: for covers and titles) and Crust Clean (S: for text headings). Crust Clean doesn't come with punctuation, so Vincent used Dirty Ego for that. All three are available for free at dafont.com.

Consolas is the playbook body text, and Verdana Bold is used for the R Rating and the footers and numbering. Those are both standard fonts that your should have already, or you can get them from the MS website.

The body text in the rulebook is Chaparral Pro, an Adobe font. I believe it comes bundled with certain Adobe programs, but maybe somebody can suggest a free font that is at least passably similar. (S: Consolas is hella ugly and monospaced fonts are completely illegible so you should just use Chaparral for everything)

- It's considerate to use A4 or letter format (8.5in x 11in, for you Europeans) for your sheets so people don't need to buy special paper to use them. (Hey Vincent when do we get decent letter-formatted playbooks?)

- It's smart to label your sheets so it's evident what they're for even if it's not fully clear how they do it.

- PLAYTEST YOUR SHEETS!
I can't stress this enough. Seriously. Make sure you find a couple of people with different handwriting and don't all be architects or something and see if you have left enough space to write stuff down. See if you're forced to reference outside your sheets for things that should be on them. See what's on your sheets that you don't need or care about! Try different approaches before you post something, make sure it's real good.

Re: Play Aids Index
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 03:29:00 PM »
Here is my Hx Worksheet:

http://thor.divnull.com/pub/aw/hx-worksheet.pdf

Each character gets one Hx Worksheet, and you need the Hx instructions that each playbook has, since there is not space to duplicate that stuff here. Once you have calculated final Hx values you can transfer them to the playbooks of your choice.

lumpley

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 04:46:20 PM »
I put the moves index from the book online, you can print it out and refer to it at pick-a-move-from-another-playbook time: AW-movesindex.pdf.

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 08:47:36 PM »
I had been working on this so it seemed like the right thread to post it.

A sortable spreadsheet with all the playbook moves listed by stat they use, what basic move they may modify, and what stat they may replace.

(Not so good with forums and posting files, so here's the Google docs version of my xls file)

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhBhVlXSRDSZdExCcWJnWXhDcVpLZjk1ZWdXRkN2SEE&hl=en_US

Re: Play Aids Index - Fronts Fillable Form
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 11:59:40 PM »
I just finished a letter-sized form for a Front that is in Acrobat format. This is mainly useful to people like me who have terrible handwriting :)

When you load it with in acrobat reader, you can simply fill in the required fields and then save and/or print it out. Then you can update it in between sessions to always have a fresh and readable version of your front.

Since it's letter sized and not legal, there's not quite as much room, but the neatness of being typed helps that a bit. Also I didn't bother putting anything on the back side, since you can get all that info from the book.

So, it's a trade off, but it works for me, and hopefully will for you.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/edxt5afacjjyccj/AW-Front-Fillable.pdf

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 11:27:07 PM »
Flowchart for translating violence into moves:

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1ETp72rzwzNhfGEb-yKj2buZlrZ3zfQqUnHStoNCDRBQ/edit

I don't think it fits all situations, but its a good starting point.

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 11:20:52 PM »
I put the moves index from the book online, you can print it out and refer to it at pick-a-move-from-another-playbook time: AW-movesindex.pdf.

I have taken this moves index (which I love btw) or at least the portion that shows the moves sorted by stat and updated it to include the Faceless, Quarantine, Maestro D', Touchstone and Hoarder. I also threw in the Juggernaut, Freak (aka Grotesque) and the Tribal since those are playbooks my groups commonly use.

I hope no one who made those playbooks minds. If you do please let me know and I will definately remove them from the file.

Enjoy!

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B0a_iGRNRo6BamlGMFJBVGJTbkNfWkJ6aGlMZE4xUQ

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 12:09:59 PM »
Here's a moves sheet with the advanced moves options thrown in. Handy to pass out to players who have started advancing moves so they stop asking you what they can do. :) Enjoy!

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B0a_iGRNRo6BNkVxdGlMbHpTSFNpOFAxX0FKU2lZdw
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 01:19:05 PM by Pheylorn »

Blind-blue & Hatchet City, in A4 size
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 08:29:27 AM »
I have made a transcript of the one-shot scenario, “Blind-blue & Hatchet City”, in a worldwide apocalypse friendly A4 document.

The content is copied from http://lumpley.com/apocalypse/hatchetcity.pdf, but made for the rest of the Apocalypse World where we don't use crazy-long paper sizes.

I can't keep those files there indefinitely. Vincent, if you approve, feel free to host these in a more permanent location, under the same terms as any other play aid.

Re: Blind-blue & Hatchet City, in A4 size
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 12:07:50 AM »
I have made a transcript of the one-shot scenario, “Blind-blue & Hatchet City”, in a worldwide apocalypse friendly A4 document.

The above documents are now updated (in the same file locations) to use the suggested fonts for headings and titles.

Rules playbooks, A4 size
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 09:04:11 AM »
I have transcribed the core rulebooks to worldwide A4 paper size.

This contains all the content from the US-only sized rules playbooks, plus a little more where it made sense.

Vincent, please consider hosting these with the official playbooks; I can't host them at the above location indefinitely.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 09:56:19 AM by bignose »

Core character playbooks, A4 size
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 01:36:55 AM »
I have transcribed the core character playbooks to worldwide A4 paper size.

This contains most of the content from the US-only sized core character playbooks; some of the “additional rules” or other things didn't quite fit.

Also included (as the final two pages) is the template I used for each playbook; you can use it to make your own from a running start.

Vincent, please consider hosting these with the official playbooks; I can't host them at the above location indefinitely.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 03:57:49 AM by bignose »

Moves index (including limited playbooks), in A4 size
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2012, 01:53:11 AM »
I have transcribed the Moves index to worldwide A4 paper size.

This contains all moves from the main rulebook Moves index, plus all moves from limited edition playbooks to date, consolidated into the one index.

Vincent, please consider hosting these with the official material; I can't host them at the above location indefinitely.

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2012, 10:43:54 PM »
For lack of a better font, I found that Bookman Old Style matches the trifold playbook body text fairly well.

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2012, 06:11:28 PM »
I use a mind map in XMind to track NPCs, vehicles, notes, damage, and such in my AW game. I created a set of icons to go with Apocalypse World:
1) the countdown clock at each iteration
2) miscellaneous post-apocalyptic iconography (fortress, male, female, raider, group, vehicle)

This .xmp file can be imported into XMind so you can use those icons:
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B5aCjfAHYXoQbGE5OGo2OVRPQW8
"Above the tortured heavens
So full of silent waiting
Howl screams of birth and triumph
Unlock the faceless hating"

- Darkest Of The Hillside Thickets, "Ogdru Jahad"