DW Module - The Goblin Hole

• 12 Replies
DW Module - The Goblin Hole
« on: July 28, 2011, 12:31:02 PM »
Ok, so I've had this bug crawling around the back of my brain about what a Dungeon World module would look like.  I put this together a while back but now that we've had a look at the module in the redbook version, I thought I'd throw mine out there as well.

My goal was to have something that didn't dictate plot or step on the toes of the Fronts or replace the GM playbook sheets.  It would be something that you could just grab out of your bag when someone said, "Hey, how about playing Dungeon World?" after dinner at a con and you could just run with it.  It should have a unified theme and flavor but really just be an unordered cloud of blanks and hooks (notice there's no map) with some appropriate moving parts to make you look look oh so prepared.  It should reinforce what you should be doing as a GM during that first session and make sure that they don't ever see you sweat.  Anyhow, here's what I put together.  Any comments or critiques would be welcome, please pardon my unsophisticated graphic design skills.  

The Goblin Hole

Note: Sage - If there are any attributions you'd like to see on fan-made DW stuff, let me know and I'll edit it.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 07:24:24 PM by mease19 »

noofy

Re: DW Module - The Goblin Hole
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 06:38:10 AM »
Nice. I especially like the Impressions. I'll be stealing that idea forthwith.

Oh and for the record, I LOVE maps! I always have a dozen of Tony's maps available for perusal by the players if their character's spout lore or discern realities, choosing the map that appeals to them. On a miss, my hard move is always always 'reveal an unwelcome truth' about the map! Its not always accurate! Ha Ha.

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 08:13:48 AM »
The impressions are golden. Those combined with the dungeon moves should let you build a dungeon real easy on the fly.

But yeah, a map as an in-game artifact, which could be incorrect, misleading, or an outright trap? Awesome idea. :)

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 09:28:33 AM »
Impressions are $$$.

This is neat. Going to use the Goblin Hole for my home game. Nice work.

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 09:36:47 AM »
Regarding maps, I originally put this together using an early version of the rules text when the extent of GM prep was very much in question.  At the time, GM prep was, as I interpreted it, steeping one's self in fantasy and establishing the game from whole cloth at the dungeon's entrance, partially through question and answer (more like AW).  Hence some loaded questions to pose to characters as they wrap up character creation.  As much as I love cartography, I figured that forgoing a map would provide for a richer and more adaptable set of available GM moves.  However, I'd be thrilled if players generated their own maps as their adventure unfolds.  

[Note: Upon rereading with fresh eyes, I found a couple typos.  The Goblin Hole]
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 07:12:44 PM by mease19 »

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 07:26:49 PM »
For all those interested, I'd be willing to try my hand at making a map for you. It won't be some gorgeous work of art, but it'll be better than lines and stick figures. If you're interested, I'm willing to trade for some like work--AW playbooks and new DW classes are always relevant to my interests. =)

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 07:51:39 PM »
I appreciate the offer but the lack of map is by design. 

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 08:48:05 PM »
I know it is. I was just offering to people in general. Because, y'know, sometimes having a map you didn't draw is cool.

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 09:20:41 PM »
Marshall, as requested I did a quite write up of my experience running a session with this starter:

http://they.misled.us/archives/1763

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 11:57:09 AM »
Jeff, thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts on the Goblin Hole!

Apologies about the font size, there was a lot I wanted to pack in so that you could take the adventure a couple different ways.  As for being like a front, the Dungeon Starters are supposed to help you get through that first session, before you've written your fronts. 

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2011, 09:23:21 PM »
Ok, then I did actually use it correcty, more or less. For what you are going for it pretty much works. The only thing that I can think of to make it better would some faces and grim portents.

I'd really like to see the starters available in a bundle with a cover sheet that gives a quick gist of what they are for and how to use them. Heck, they would even be great in the full version of the DW book.

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011, 03:03:22 PM »
Is this available? I can't seem to get the link to work.

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2011, 05:19:13 PM »
I couldn't get it to work from this thread either, however it does work from here.