15% of my job as MC is DJ:ing

• 7 Replies

Arvid

15% of my job as MC is DJ:ing
« on: October 13, 2010, 03:34:56 PM »

I set up a sweet Foobar interface, and with my netbook on the playing table, I can discretely pick and choose songs for what's going on right now. I love it, and definitely consider DJ:ing a part of the MC package.

Anyone with me?

My players, does the music works feel like a big thing or a little thing to you? What percentage of the experience would you set it to?

Re: 15% of my job as MC is DJ:ing
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 05:06:56 PM »
You might need to add more music styles for me to react more at the music I can say at once. The creepy music isnt creepy for me and the violent one got banjos and stuff, thats my idea of violent humour and not AW violence.

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 05:21:00 PM »
For my Driver and Angel in an Ambulance game, music plays a big part, because there's a person in game broadcasting music on Channel 9 of the CB radio, and they tune into it while driving.  It's a lot of classic rock, and fits the "road trip" vibe of the game we're playing. 

I use one of the music channels that the cable provider gives us, which allows for a massive variety. It's hit and miss, sometimes the music is a little inappropriate during a combat or tense situation, but I kind of like that, as we've decided that the music playing is the music coming out of the CB radio, and they can't quite control it. 

I find myself incredibly busy as an MC during the game, and adding DJ to the mix would be a lot to juggle.  I tend to just let that cable channel do the work for me.

For my other groups, I don't play music with Gamma Road as I'm recording those sessions, and music would ruin any chance of recording. 

My other game "The Works" has a few people who get very distracted with background noise, (their hearing tends to get wonky with music in the background) so no music there either. 

Arvid

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 06:21:48 PM »
You might need to add more music styles for me to react more at the music I can say at once. The creepy music isnt creepy for me and the violent one got banjos and stuff, thats my idea of violent humour and not AW violence.

It is true that I don't really have any appropriate creepy music, but you're the one who's been starting up the Banjo Inferno playlist. :D

(Now, the violent playlist is a meagre three songs, one of which has an accordion)

Eh, if I come across something good, I'll add it.

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 09:20:53 PM »
This topic is quite old, but if you happen to get this reply, I highly recommend the song in my sig. Many of the band's other songs are also very AW evocative for me.
The Dead Flag Blues - Godspeed You Black Emperor! This is my Apocalypse World theme song.

Arvid

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 06:45:05 AM »
This topic is quite old, but if you happen to get this reply, I highly recommend the song in my sig. Many of the band's other songs are also very AW evocative for me.

We used to play it at the start of every session. :)

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 11:53:39 AM »
That's exactly what I do! /internet high five
The Dead Flag Blues - Godspeed You Black Emperor! This is my Apocalypse World theme song.

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 10:14:26 AM »
I find that the soundtrack for Deadwood really gets me into that forlorn headspace that I love so much for AW.