Some play advice for Apocalypse World

• 3 Replies
Some play advice for Apocalypse World
« on: July 06, 2011, 08:01:45 PM »
I played around yesterday and made this presentation: How to play Apocalypse World.

It condenses the big lessons I had to learn during our 16 session game, in order to get the most out of it.

The presentation's pretty rough (it's my first one), but I'm interested in your thoughts.

Re: Some play advice for Apocalypse World
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 10:34:36 PM »
Initial thoughts: too much of "you". Try instead, in the obvious places: "to create your post-apocalyptic stories, most of the players create main characters in the story." "but one player gets to be the opposition ... Basically, everything that opposes the characters."

When the screen splits into the 4 things you do, the navigation gets weird. "Be a protagonist" tends to stream by really fast and land on the last panel. I had to really mess with the forward and back buttons to get it to actually go at a readable rate.

Other than that, cool.

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 02:34:02 PM »
Nice little intro, thanks. I may point my new players at it.

FYI - I didn't have any trouble with the navigation. Each time I clicked the "next" button, it moved one step to the next bit of text. I'm using Chrome, if it matters.

/agree with previous poster that the grammar could use a little tweaking at the beginning, as too many pronouns makes it a little confusing. But nice overall result :)

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 02:47:54 AM »
Thanks, guys: I'll try to make some time to revise it over the next couple of days.

Margolette: that sounds like an odd effect you're having with the 'Be a Protagonist' section. My results are more like Philomorph's. However, I *did* push the limits of the software pretty hard on that section; it doesn't surprise me that it could be a little bit buggy.