Hardholds without wealth

• 7 Replies

elkin

Hardholds without wealth
« on: June 25, 2011, 01:56:35 PM »
Ok, so the PCs in my current campaign kicked some ass, and ended up with a holding that they decided the PC Chopper should run.
I've statted the holding, but since it was given to him through the fiction and not through advances, the Chopper doesn't have the wealth move to go along with it. What do I do? Do I let him have it for free? Treat the town as though he automatically failed/7-9'd his wealth roll? Make up crises that rise from his ineptitude?

Re: Hardholds without wealth
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 02:38:32 PM »
He can get it thru advancement, or you can just give it to him. Think of it like this: the wealth move is attached to the holding, not the character. The wealth move would be meaningless without the holding, and vice versa.

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 03:15:47 PM »
Alternatively, you can just not use the wealth rolls for that settlement.  Look at it this way:  A hardholder, or someone with the move, has set an organization in place which automatically collects taxes, enforces order, etc.  This results in the wealth move.  If you don't have the move, You can still be in charge, but you won't automatically get anything, and people won't necessarily bring their problems to you.  This doesn't mean you can't collect taxes - it just means you can't collect taxes off-screen.

lumpley

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 05:24:46 PM »
Another option: make up a custom move.

If it were me, I'd do this:
Leadership : pack alpha :: wealth : ???

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 01:41:45 AM »
In that diagram, fucking thieves is the answer. :)

But yes, a custom move for what a Chopper does absent wealth would be cool.

elkin

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 07:51:27 AM »
Great advice, I'll try to whip something up.
So the hold (called The Machine) is located at the Coca Cola bottling plant in Barrie, Ontario. There's roughly 150 civilians, 20-strong survivors of original security detail, 25-strong Chopper's gang. Main exports are clean water and protection. Main imports are food, labor and machine parts.

Surplus is gained from trade and tribute, so that should be about 2-barter.
Wants are hunger, dissent ("hey, remember how good it was when Dustwich ruled?"), malfunction, and reprisals.

---
Here's what I came up with. Are these moves too harsh? Is the "gain surplus" option redundant, given that a Chopper with +3Hard and +1 to fucking thieves isn't likely to need barter?

When you tend to your holding for some time, roll+Hard. On 10+, choose 2. On 7-9, choose 1. On a miss, your holding, your gang or both are in want.
 *The holding is not in any of its wants.
 *The gang is wealthy and content.
 *You gain the holding's surplus and willing cooperation.

When you're away from your holding for a length of time, leaving someone else in charge, roll+Hard like you would when tending to your holding, only on 10+, you choose one and the MC chooses one.

When your gang is wealthy, you take +1 ongoing to the move Fucking Thieves.

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 01:12:45 AM »

Adding some sort of option where the gang gets rich at the expense of the holding, or vice versa, seems like it could have potential. But probably that's a more interesting thing to bring in on a miss, say.

Your holding has a lot of wants! I know which one I'd be choosing if I rolled 7-9, that's for sure.

Chris

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 07:26:15 AM »
Alternatively, you can just not use the wealth rolls for that settlement. 

Yeah, that's how i run it, in the case of someone getting a hold without wealth or a gang without Leadership or Pack Alpha.

I think Wealth, Leadership, and Pack Alpha are all learned leadership styles and the game has, in every case, systems in place for someone to get one of those. But someone with a gang, but no move, like the Maestro D, the MC's handling it moment to moment, per the fiction, according to his principles, prep, all that.
A player of mine playing a gunlugger - "So now that I took infinite knives, I'm setting up a knife store." Me - "....what?" Him - "Yeah, I figure with no overhead, I'm gonna make a pretty nice profit." Me - "......"