Advice requested

• 20 Replies

Chroma

Re: Advice requested
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2011, 03:29:58 PM »
Our MC says (as do the rules) that getting a new playbook means taking on a new life. You leave behind the old and take on the new. For a hardholder, you give up your hardhold. For a driver, you give up your car(s). For a gunlugger, you give up your guns.

Actually, that's not what the rules say; it gives examples of things that might change, but if you read the whole section on that advance, it ends with the following:

It’s up to you (the MC) to work out with the player which of her character’s
things are in which category.
(intrinsic vs old life)

What stays and what's left behind is decided on a case-by-case basis, unique for each character that takes this advance; it may be a radical change it may be subtle, but it's not cut-and-dried.  Heck, I've had a player make a change in playbooks that allowed a debility to be removed!

And, for your Gunlugger, they wouldn't be giving up their guns, they'd be giving up their family if they got rid of their weapons; if the change to a new playbook doesn't involve the fiction of giving up that "family" there's no need to get rid of them.
"If you get shot enough times, your body will actually build up immunity to bullets. The real trick lies in surviving the first dozen or so..."
-- Pope Nag, RPG.net - UNKNOWN ARMIES

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2011, 05:46:15 PM »
+1 to what Chroma said. The rules are you keep everything that belongs to your intrinsic self, and leave everything that belongs to your old life. If your guns are your family, that sounds to me like they could be part of your intrinsic self, but I guess that's between you and your MC to decide.

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2011, 06:07:45 PM »

Sounds like the character would make a great Hoarder. And obviously that wouldn't involve giving up her guns, since guns would presumably be the thing she is hoarding.

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2011, 07:36:24 PM »

Actually, that's not what the rules say; it gives examples of things that might change, but if you read the whole section on that advance, it ends with the following:

It’s up to you (the MC) to work out with the player which of her character’s
things are in which category.
(intrinsic vs old life)

What stays and what's left behind is decided on a case-by-case basis, unique for each character that takes this advance; it may be a radical change it may be subtle, but it's not cut-and-dried.  Heck, I've had a player make a change in playbooks that allowed a debility to be removed!

I'm the MC for this bit of fiction, and I had typed up a reply that kind of mirrored this  during my lunch break but had to leave before I submitted it. :)

But, I agree with this. When I was originally asked the question by Umilak I really hadn't thought it all the way through. My initial assessment was effectively how Umilak stated it, but I wasn't really comfortable with it. We hadn't talked about it since then (or.. at least not when I was sober) but I agree that the change won't necessarily require giving up the guns. I think there has to be some trade off but I think it can be just as much in the fiction as in the mechanics.

Honestly, considering how outstanding everyone's been so far in game I'm not that worried about anything they want to do. They're all neck deep in the fiction and haven't done anything I've been particularly worried about.

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2011, 07:38:52 PM »
@Daniel Wood
I think so too! That's actually where I'd love to see him go. But it's not up to me :)

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2011, 05:51:12 AM »
hoarder (if she doesn’t)

Oooh, that's a good one.