Help - my skinner want a workshop

• 6 Replies
Help - my skinner want a workshop
« on: June 17, 2011, 01:03:26 PM »
The skinner in the game I'm MCing is perfume-based. He does displays of head-twisting fragrances that influence people's minds. Until now we modeled that with his Artful & gracious move, but he decided he'd like a more extensive workshop to work on special stuff. How would you do it ?

So far, I'm going for : "sure, no problem, but first you need to..." and choose a handfull option in the workshop list. Since the group's going for some loot in the ruins next session, he should get what he need pretty fast (not easily, though). But I envisaged to simply make him spend one advance on a move from another playbook, and make him take the angel's laboratory move with a few tweaks.

BtW, what would be the "anatomy" of his workshop? "When you're creating new substances or figuring out some chemist shit..." maybe ?

Those are the obvious choices. Any creative idea ?

Re: Help - my skinner want a workshop
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 01:17:18 PM »
Could he just change playbooks at the soonest opportunity?

I'd totally let any player set up a workshop.  You know all those things the Savvyhead's workshop might have?  If your skinner gets those things together with some tools, he has a workshop too.  I'd think no advances are necessary -- they're just a short-cut to the goodie.

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 03:33:54 PM »
Could he just change playbooks at the soonest opportunity?

A bit too soon, it's his second session, and the lab fits his concept (The Perfume past the disastrous betatest).

Yeah, I'm going to ask him to find one or two people to assist him for his works, some specialized chemist shit like tubes, bunzen, distills, chemicals, samples etc. that he can find in town and a place to fit all in, plus a week or so to put it all together. As soon as he's got all that, he'll have his lab.

Anybody has funnier / more twisted ideas ? Or anything to spice things up once he's set up his lab ?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 03:40:05 PM by gregpogor »

elkin

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 04:54:32 PM »
Sure, no problem, but...

...You're going to have to test this stuff on animals / humans / yourself to make sure it works.

...You'll have to sniff X extensively for several hours/days/weeks.

...You'll have to harvest X's glands.

...Working next to this shit will give you a splitting headache, probably worse.

--
Also, make a custom move about freaky lab accidents.

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 06:38:14 PM »
For inspiration:

Perfume: The Story of a Murderer
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0396171/

and the book it was based on:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfume_(novel)

I suppose you could go the D&D route and ask what sort of perfumes the skinner wants to make and base the "ingredients" on that. For example, I want to make a love perfume. Ok, first you need the distilled essence of true love.

Er, how do I get the distilled essence of true love?

Well, first you need a way to detect true love between two or more people.

Um, how do I do that?

Oh! Well, you need to make a true love detector (or something more awesomely named than that)!

Chris

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 07:21:02 PM »
Love detector?

No, you've got to get Dust, the Hocus, you've got to get him to pull a piece of Alan and Joe's Girl's love out of the maelstrom.
A player of mine playing a gunlugger - "So now that I took infinite knives, I'm setting up a knife store." Me - "....what?" Him - "Yeah, I figure with no overhead, I'm gonna make a pretty nice profit." Me - "......"

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 10:26:04 AM »
I love you guys so much.