[Rules] Two concurrent failures... how many MC moves?

• 1 Replies

Chroma

[Rules] Two concurrent failures... how many MC moves?
« on: June 16, 2011, 11:31:30 AM »
Last session I had something interesting come up and I was wondering how other MCs dealt with it:

During an instance of PC on PC... interaction... one PC was Going Aggro on another, who attempted to Interfere... both players missed on their rolls... so, now, it's my turn to make a move as hard as I like... but do I get to make two moves now, store one up for future use, make a "doubly" hard move, make a single move and sniffle about lost opportunities for fuckery, or something else?

I made a single move in the session, and it wasn't all that hard of one, but I was still curious as to how other people would resolve this.  In this instance, it was essentially simultaneous rolling, so there wasn't really time for me to interject anything; if they'd been taking "discrete" turns it would've been easy to handle, but the simultaneousness of the actions in fiction essentially demanded concurrent rolling.

Thoughts?
"If you get shot enough times, your body will actually build up immunity to bullets. The real trick lies in surviving the first dozen or so..."
-- Pope Nag, RPG.net - UNKNOWN ARMIES

Chris

Re: [Rules] Two concurrent failures... how many MC moves?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 12:17:42 PM »
Heavily depends on the fiction of both moves.

Not double+plus hard. But neither get what they want. Maybe the gun used in the Go Aggro goes off by accident, hitting god knows who.

In a case of continually failed rolls, I just escalate and escalate.
A player of mine playing a gunlugger - "So now that I took infinite knives, I'm setting up a knife store." Me - "....what?" Him - "Yeah, I figure with no overhead, I'm gonna make a pretty nice profit." Me - "......"