Magically Informative Loot

• 46 Replies

noofy

Re: Magically Informative Loot
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2011, 08:48:41 PM »
I'm reviving this thread because its freaking awesome! but also because up until this point we'd been detailing magical treasure via the loot move (with the exception of some situation determined macguffins through other moves and player bonds). I particularly like turning the question back on the players asking them (usually someone other than the looter!) to tell us what magic was found: snowballing the move into a spout lore or discern realities if warranted as the players scramble to uncover lost magics....
This is great! and Wonderful! But as the Michaels, Sage and Adam et al. came to the conclusion, you could disseminate into any number of 'mini' moves to elucidate this information.
But I'm more interested in this: "... but can also have mini-moves specifically for the looting which gives them inspiration for neat treasure items, as well as clues and details about the other stuff in this dungeon as well as stuff that leads to other dungeons."

Because that's why crossing the line and putting this in player hands can work.  For instance, right now the GM doesn't really need to detail treasure.  You maybe have some ideas for magic, and you have a feel for how generous you want to be with gold, and that's enough: the Loot move lets the players cue you for this stuff.  That means you don't have to plan, prep, and place it all, like you would in D&D.

This has been working extremely well, but like most things '....World', the players imaginations, even when tying intimately back to the fiction, eventually stale.

My idea to bolster this magically themed imagination was to generate lists, not so much mechanical advantage, but rather prescriptive and descriptive tags. Somewhat similar to the Fighter's signature weapon, or the Clerics Deity, or the simple equipment lists. Simple words to spark the imagination of everyone at the table.

Generating the object is not really a problem. Its all to easy (and appropriate) to always think of 'traditional' items like:
Books, amulets, maps, quills, scrolls, gloves, carpets, rope, bracers, rods, belts, wands, rings, staffs, boots, cloaks, crowns, circlets, necklaces, armour, pouches, bags, weapons, bridles, cups, pots, decks of cards, musical instruments.....
So simply thinking a little more mundane or unusual is enough to spur the imagination:
Thimbles, compasses, whistles, monocles, contraptions, dice, cutlery, wineskins, whatever.... This is not so much the issue.

Its the magical tags we are coming unstuck with. Everything just seems to relate back to the wizard or cleric spells, or is some variation on protection, invisibility, flammable, speed, charm, power, skill, carrying potential etc....

So I just wondered if folks have some specific tags they have generated or used during play to detail their magic items created through the fiction (rather than those generated as lonely GM fun)?

Re: Magically Informative Loot
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2011, 10:41:06 PM »
I would like to see a little trifold with inspirational tags like those.