GRAPPLING! NOOOO!

• 17 Replies
Re: GRAPPLING! NOOOO!
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2011, 03:22:13 PM »
Fairly simple, and seems common enough to be used quite a bit.

Jeremy

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2011, 09:25:33 AM »
Oh, wow, Mease. That's great.

I wonder if you could make it even broader, though? Possibly making it resemble AW's go aggro a little more? For example:

When you force someone to do what you want, roll +Str. On a 7-9, they pick one. On a 10+, they pick two.
• they do it
• you inflict your damage
• they don't inflict their damage to you

...or something like that. Maybe you need more choices to make it more general?

Opens up other custom moves, too. "Sinister: when you make a verbal threat that you can clearly back up, you can force someone using +Cha instead of +Str."  And for the "Grapple" special move: "when you force someone with your bare hands, your victim never inflicts damage on you.". (or "...your victim picks one extra choice.")

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2011, 10:20:36 AM »
Hmm.  I don't know.  Punching somebody until they do what you want loses some of its edge with Hit Points.

Not only is a single hit not all that convincing most of the time, but it's fictionally meaningless as well.  What's "8 HPs"?  Is that a bruise?  A gash?  Is the guy "roughed up" or is he "bloody and mangled"?

And if it's going to take multiple moves to complete, you might as well just Parley, or H&S to display leverage and then Parley, or just tell they what you want them to do and then H&S them until they do it or die (which is what the move boils down to).

I applaud the creativity.  I just think that this base is already covered.