The weight of rolls?

• 7 Replies
The weight of rolls?
« on: May 16, 2011, 02:19:29 PM »
I think I've noticed a thing in more than one AW game.  It's this thing where a 12 is "better" than a 10 and a 2 is "worse" than a 6.  And no one is doing it always, but it feels like a trend.  I don't even know if anyone is aware of it.

Have you seen or felt this?

lumpley

Re: The weight of rolls?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 02:24:34 PM »
We've noticed it in our game. It's funny.

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 03:42:03 PM »
Chris, I was wondering about that, too. Running a convention game, hitting the natural 12 on the roll made everyone go like YEAH! And yeah... it was more awesome than a plain old 10+.

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 05:53:22 PM »
Weirdly enough, I haven't seen any "Natural 20" or "Natural 1" assumptions at our table. The same for grades of success within the success range based on the roll or the total.

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 07:01:12 PM »
I haven't noticed any added weight to snake-eyes or boxcars in games I've played, other than when you see those rolls, you don't have to do any math to know what the result is.

Could be because we haven't had a lot of "natural 20" assumptions carried over from other games, but I dunno. When I play Basic D&D, we don't have any criticals on a 20 or fumbles on a 1--they're just auto-hit and auto-miss--and we don't have much excitement when somebody rolls a 1 or a 20, either.

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 07:37:35 PM »
Custom moves:

Brainer: When you roll a natural 12, you get whatever you'd normally get, plus, ask one:
- What does this person fear most?
- Who here wants to fuck me?
- Why did that person do this thing?

Gunlugger: When you roll a natural 12, you get whatever you'd normally get, plus do 1-harm to any one person nearby.

Hocus: When you roll a natural 12, you get whatever you'd normally get, plus ask the MC one question. The MC will aswer as the MC. Like, the fictional character is asking a question of the real person.

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 07:48:07 PM »
Plus like, expanded moves.

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 04:26:25 PM »
I think my group reacts strongly to 2's, 3's and 12's because we already know they're (normally) failures or total successes before the player factors in their stat, which takes a moment of reference and calculation.  4's and 11's can be even more fun in their own weird way.  "Too bad, you, oh, wait, +3, cool!" and "Yay, now you can, oh, -2, hmm."