Cleric Moves

• 5 Replies
Cleric Moves
« on: May 06, 2011, 01:58:31 PM »
It seems like the Religious Studies move largely eclipses the Righteous Fury move.  The former allows you to ask "What god does it serve?"/"What god is revered here?" while the latter allows "Does it serve that deity?"/"Is that deity revered here?".

While I can imagine circumstances where RS might not totally replace RF (if there are multiple gods revered at a given place, perhaps?), they seem awfully narrow.  I think RF probably needs something else to properly differentiate it.

Re: Cleric Moves
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 02:53:38 PM »
Hello!

I mention this in my West Marches thread too. I think the difference is for RS you can ask the broad question and RF you always do ask the question, for free- but it's much less likely to get a good answer in a standard polytheistic pantheon.

Am I talking sense here or is that off-base?

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 03:00:30 PM »
the way i read it RF falls under the types of moves that lets you ask the question even if you fail the roll while RS just adds another option to ask.
that could be a big difference.

(but righteous fury is kind of an odd name for it!)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 03:13:34 PM by evilben »

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 03:47:14 PM »
I think you're right about the difference.

Also, I imagine that it's called "Righteous Fury" because you'd probably pick an enemy deity, and then go around looking for his followers and temples to destroy.

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 01:33:52 PM »
I think you're right about the difference.

Also, I imagine that it's called "Righteous Fury" because you'd probably pick an enemy deity, and then go around looking for his followers and temples to destroy.

Sage can jump in and correct me if he likes, but I think the intent was that Righteous Fury is intended for the enemies of the faith.

I'm proposing a name change for the next version to make it a bit broader / easier to follow.

sage

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 03:19:42 AM »
The intended relation between them is that one gives you the option of finding out what god is involved, the other always lets you find out is a specific god is involved.

The Religious Studies cleric is the person who knows the customs of every religion and can identify a particular holy symbol with a few moments thought. Best suited for travelers and generally nice clerics.

The Righteous Fury cleric is the person who's always on the lookout for members of a certain faith and can pick up on even the smallest cues. Best suited for crusading, inquisitor-like clerics. (Righteous Fury with an offshoot of your own religion could be particularly interesting: "The heresy of worshiping Filotos through blood sacrifice shall not be tolerated! For your corruption of our faith your own blood will be spilled.")