Healing downtime

• 8 Replies
Healing downtime
« on: May 14, 2011, 12:16:14 AM »
How do other gaming groups handle healing downtime? Say that three characters have hit 6:00 and want to be narcostabbed for a week to heal up, but 1 character doesn't want to do that, and instead want to the talk to NPCs, get into fights, and generally keep playing.

Re: Healing downtime
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 12:29:11 AM »
I just set up a few scenes for each player (maybe one or two each depending on the disposition of the crowd) and then say "okay so a week has passed and Snow is up again. Snow, what's the first thing you do when you come out of the narcohaze?"

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 01:16:25 AM »
Yeah, I try to do that, but sometimes it ends up with a moves snowball, and suddenly I've spent 45 minutes with one player, and everyone else ends up bored.

You know, I think I just figured out a solution: ask for actions and moves with the active player, and spend time with questions with the narcostabbed player(s). They may not be doing moves, but at least they are adding to the fiction. Heck, even ask them what their favorite NPCs are doing.

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 02:37:09 PM »
If anyone wants to know, I tried this new "technique" last night, with the Gunlugger out for 24-hours for medical treatment, and it worked pretty well.

I went around in a circle as usual, asking for actions which led to moves, but with the Gunlugger, I asked some broad questions to help define the world. While she was frustrated being "out" (her gang decided to pick on the player Angel character, hee hee), she liked being asked to participate with the questions.

I learned something new!

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 02:32:40 PM »
You can also ask like, what type of creepy shit they're dreaming up while they're under.

What does being narcostabbed feel like? You've been dreaming of a man named Rothschild--who is he? Why do you keep dreaming of your brother? Through your drug induced-hazed you occasionally feel a lurking presence in the clinic. What do you think it is?

Or try this:

The maelstrom opens up and swallows you whole. You're standing on a too-pristine road in some sort of huge urban ruin. It's night time, or the sun went out, or there is no sun. It's hard to tell.

On second glance, you notice that the buildings are terrifyingly tall. So tall you can't see their tops. Light pours out of most of the windows. You hear a massive horn blare and suddenly are awash with light. What do you do?

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 03:57:17 PM »
...three characters have hit 6:00 and want to be narcostabbed for a week to heal up, but 1 character doesn't want to do that...

Are you letting the players decide?

You know that the MC gets to choose right?

To use it to stabilize and heal someone at 9:00 or past: roll+stock spent. On a hit, they will stabilize and heal to 6:00, but the MC will choose 1 (on a 10+) or 2 (on a 7–9):

Also, this might help:

Elide the action sometimes, and zoom in on its details other
times. Play out a battle in precise and exacting detail, but in the
middle of it say “so they keep you both pinned down there until
nightfall.” Sometimes pick one session up in the moments where
the last left off, other times let days or weeks pass in between.

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 05:52:22 PM »
My initial post (#1) was referring to this section of the Angel playbook:

To use it [the angel kit] to speed the recovery of someone at 3:00 or 6:00: don't roll. They choose: spend 4 days (3:00) or 1 week (6:00) blissed out on chillstabs, immobile but happy, or do their time like everyone else.

In post #4, I mentioned the Gunlugger being out for 24 hours, and yes, I choose that option.

Also, I did allow the Gunlugger to open their brain to the psychic maelstrom while being out for 24 hours along with my generic questions.

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 08:22:00 PM »
Oh right on! I guess you got it figured out.

I was thinking that move because of the 24 hour mention. ;)

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 02:09:48 PM »
The poor Gunlugger keeps getting harmed!

Session 3 saw the liberation of a town oppressed of fascist rule, and the Gunlugger took a week off narco stabbed to recover from the fight.

Session 5 saw a missed roll with a grenade. The Gunlugger hit 10:00 out in the wilderness and had to bravely hold his/her guts in while stumbling back home! The Angel had to knock her out for 24-hours.

So all of us are getting an education on the healing rules!

I have to say I love the Gunlugger and his/her player. In real life she's this kind, sweet gal, but in the game she's this awesome stone, cold killer. The contrast makes it even more awesome!