Dungeon World Gamma

• 42 Replies

sage

Dungeon World Gamma
« on: May 02, 2011, 03:21:49 PM »
The newest version of Dungeon World is out: http://www.latorra.org/dungeon-world/

We're pushing towards a final release, so there shouldn't be anything left that's a placeholder. There are a few things we want to add or mess with, but consider this our first shot at a finished game.

Which, of course, means we'd love you to tell us what we did wrong. Play the game, read the game, tell use what doesn't work and what is hard to understand. We're particularly interested in high level play, so if you feel like throwing a few characters into the planes or the lower depths, that'd be great.

We're still accepting Guild members too, as always, so just drop us a line if you've got thoughts.

Re: Dungeon World Gamma
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 10:31:43 PM »
The monster section looks awesome. 

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 04:31:50 AM »
A small but important detail for future editions: the labels for boxes sometimes obscure the text in the boxes (this is especially true of the "gear" box on the character sheet).

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 11:18:07 AM »
Hi Sage and Adam
thanks for your work!

About DW Hack

misstyping: pg 3 Undertake a Perilous Journey (Con) use MC instead of GM

..ok, that was easy ;)

Just a suggestion: Player moves on pg 28. My first reaction to the reading was: "wtf? I should use the moves with the monster? roll for the monster?" After a second reading I understood the obvious meaning is to use moves related to the monster.
I thought to be the only one dumb guy, but in another forum another user gets the same impression. Maybe it is a not native language issue, but I just let you to know.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 11:25:34 AM by fealoro »

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 11:25:06 AM »
It would be handy for duplex printing if you'd add a blank page between p1 and p2.

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 12:23:31 PM »
Sorry if it has been already answered in other places.

In DW hack is missing anything related to how much experience for each level or how many moves can be choose each level. Is it intended? Should I apply for Adv Guild to learn more? ;)

Also related: if a PC pass to level 2 andd higher can choose also some of initial characther moves or have to choose only the advanced ones?

thanks

sage

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 02:26:50 PM »
Thanks everyone!

Ha! I can't believe we used MC. Thanks for the catch.

The phrasing in the monster section should probably make that clear, you're right. At first there was just talk about mosnters having "moves" but really there needs to be some clarification of what types of moves. A monster has to have GM moves, otherwise its not interesting. It may have player-facing moves as well.

Duplex printing has suffered recently, and we'll be trying to fix it up around that. This release was laregly about getting feedback ASAP so we can fix up the text while we work on layout. Unfortunately that means some ugliness, like this, but it was a tradeoff we had to make.

The advancement chapter should be in the Hack version, I'll look into that. Creating a higher level character should be as easy as applying the level up steps the right number of times.

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 10:45:54 AM »
FYI, a Ranger move is hidden behind the "Other Moves" box.

"When you speak a command to your animal com-..."

(That said, the new character sheets are slick.)

sage

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 12:13:00 AM »
Damn, thought I caught all those! Sorry! Another version coming soon, of course.

Glad you like the new sheets. I actually don't love them, not sure why yet. But I'm focused on the print layout and trifold sheets, so I'm trying not to worry about it.

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 04:29:40 PM »
You just had to go and release a new PDF today after I printed and coil-bound two copies of the previous version last night. :)

How about a little grace period before tweaked versions are released? Give us time to play with the "latest and greatest" PDF, noting errata, and maybe release updated PDFs bi-weekly or monthly?

Seems like the last week there's been a ton of updates and it's hard to keep straight what's being updated vs. what's been lost, etc.

Just a suggestion.

sage

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 04:36:40 PM »
We'll be slowing down now, as we mostly tweak specific moves and my writing (I love the comma splice :) ). Sorry for the pace of updates, the class-based damage was a last minute fix. From here on out it's all minor edits and rebalances, so less need to push them out fast.

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 04:40:45 PM »
We'll be slowing down now, as we mostly tweak specific moves and my writing (I love the comma splice :) ). Sorry for the pace of updates, the class-based damage was a last minute fix. From here on out it's all minor edits and rebalances, so less need to push them out fast.

Right on. I'm sure there might be others who disagree and want the updates now, now, now! :)

I just think it might be better to space the releases long enough for people to absorb, play and provide feedback in addition to the glaring errors which can be fixed for a later release anyways. I mean, it is a playtest, so those little errors are understandable.

My 2 cents!

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 12:44:59 AM »
We're really ramping up the production speed now as we come into the final twists and turns.  We've always sort of made the choice to develop in the open and in crunch time, that's going to lead to "patching" of the rules from day to day. 

That said, I can totally see where it'd be a bummer to print a copy and then have us be like "OH YOU HAVE THE WRONG ONE" for that you can hold 1 over me and redeem it later for some mea culpa when I'm not so busy editing out Sage's comma splices.

This is something that the Dungeon World iOS app is going to solve - when we "roll new code" to Dungeon World (whether its new classes, extra monsters, etc) everyone who has the app gets the stuff automatically!  Kind of awesome.

Expect to see, though, regular postings of PDFs and update notices until print day.  It's going to be a bit of a crazy ride (thanks for coming along!)

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2011, 08:32:45 AM »
Right on. Like I said, just a suggestion. I'll just hold off on playing until a more finalized version releases.

agony

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2011, 08:34:06 AM »
I prefer quick updates so that we can have the latest and greatest and we aren't playtesting something that's already changed.

I think the solution is to just print certain things you will need in play.  For instance, don't print the GM Fronts section as that's for mostly between sessions.  You also probably don't need the wounds and damage section and character creation or the first few pages either.  Just prin the basic moves, special moves, gear, and whatever monsters you want for the session.