Skinners and "Lost"

• 5 Replies
Skinners and "Lost"
« on: May 01, 2011, 03:18:30 AM »
So, I've got a question for how people have been dealing with the Skinner move "Lost". I'm a player (and actually the skinner in the group), and during play today we had a few logistical questions when I and another player who chose to take a move form another playbook as her advancement were using Lost. First, how are people handling retries for failed lost rolls? Do you only get one attempt per character per session? Or does a certain amount of time need to elapse before you can try again? Second, how hard is the compulsion the target feels? Is it an overwhelming thing that needs to be answered immediately, regardless of life or limb, or does a successful roll just mean the target will meet user within a reasonable amount of time? Can the target be aware that some weird psychic maelstrom shit is involved in their compulsion? I understand that a lot of the answers to these questions are conditional on the campaign setting and the individual situations the move is used in, I'm asking what others have done in their games to use as precedents.

Arvid

Re: Skinners and "Lost"
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 05:11:52 AM »
Start making MC moves. Whispering where you are and who you need there into the psychic maelstrom should be risky business. When whispering doesn't work, maybe the Skinner moves on to shouting - Even more dangerous.

Set up the first failed roll with unnerving questions, like "Who do you fear the most?" or "How could s/he get to you?" for the next failed Lost roll, maybe that person will show up instead, with the means to get to the Skinner.

Remember, when you make a character move, you stick your neck out. To act is always risky in Apocalypse World - but if you do not act you will inevitably sink and drown.

DWeird

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 09:35:40 AM »
I don't know if you or your MC are doing this at all, but, just in case... You shouldn't be limited the in-fiction application of the move to "the target character has a compulsion to get where necessary."

The Skinner asks the maelstorm, but it doesn't mean the maelstorm has to ask the target... It can work in roundabout ways - the Skinner might see his target bound and gagged and up for sale at a slave market after a rival gang roughed him up, or something.

Lost is also probably one of the moves where the MC can go "time passes, and then X happens!" (like Wealth, say). You ask for a person, and then he comes around the next morning to your favorite watering hole for a drink, with you present.

Or, if you don't feel the need to be low-key and your skinner is already established to be maelstorm savvy, you could dispense with all the subtleties, suggestions and workarounds, and just have the maelstorm rip your target out of its location and bring it straight to you. Like FedEx, only better!

Chroma

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 10:12:13 AM »
Also, always remember to do it, do it... when the Skinner's player, or whomever has the move, says "I whisper the name to the maelstrom" the MC should say, "Cool, how do you do that?" and then run with the way they do it.

The very weird Savvyhead in our game took this move and issues their whispers like commands to the people wanted... it's not going over so well with the targets... especially PC targets!  *laugh*

Of course, they've also whispered the name of someone they know to be dead... that person hasn't shown up... yet...
"If you get shot enough times, your body will actually build up immunity to bullets. The real trick lies in surviving the first dozen or so..."
-- Pope Nag, RPG.net - UNKNOWN ARMIES

Chroma

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 10:13:40 AM »
Oops, double post.
"If you get shot enough times, your body will actually build up immunity to bullets. The real trick lies in surviving the first dozen or so..."
-- Pope Nag, RPG.net - UNKNOWN ARMIES

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 08:55:00 PM »
Thanks all. The point about how character moves should require sticking one's neck out, and coming up with creative penalties for failed lost rolls is really cool. I will be bringing these ideas back to my play group.