Does background fiction trigger sex moves?

• 5 Replies
Does background fiction trigger sex moves?
« on: April 20, 2011, 08:23:22 PM »
My friends and I are about to start a new AW game and, in character creation, we stumbled upon this problem.
The brainer, Atisha, chose her Hx option "One of them has slept in your presence" for the operator, and they decided they had sex that night.

We were not sure if this could trigger the sex move. I'd say no, because in that case every move could be used in background fiction (for example, In-brain puppet string to gain some holds on a character before the game actually starts), but then again sex move is a *special* move, so we can't decide...

What do you think?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 08:39:50 PM by Matteo Turini »

noofy

Re: Does background fiction trigger sex moves?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 08:40:13 PM »
Hey Matteo, I'd say sure! To do it, do it. Right? You don't have to start the game at any particular point. Sounds like a great scene to kick things off. Start jazzing off that and roll with it.

Introduce Triangles, have one of the characters NPC lovers confront them in the morning (intimacy can be a scarcity too!), ask provocative questions of the other characters about what they think of the liasion. I mean the players wanted their characters to have sex, so they must be invested in the outcomes - so give it to them!

Announce future badness too. 'Hey you know when you slept togther last night? Spiky sheepishly aproaches you in the cantina and spills the beans that Dremmer filmed the whole thing with a hidden security camera and is threatening to broadcast it to the hold at film night. What do you do?'

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 10:13:56 PM »
Just ask your players.  "So... does that trigger your sex move?"

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 12:06:05 AM »
Just ask your players.  "So... does that trigger your sex move?"

What he said. I don't think you need to worry about thinking this one out from first principles, just ask the players.

Edit: Though, to add a bit more to it, personally my answer as a player would be 'hell yes' because the Brainer sex move is awesome.

In fact I would probably suggest something like 'it did, but how about you hold on to your questions and then ask them during play when something that interests you comes up.' Because the move becomes more awesome once you know a little bit about the PCs.

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 08:58:40 AM »
It's something I wonder about for periods of downtime, too.  If we handwave a couple weeks of game time, and we know the PCs are sexually active, has the Skinner racked up some holds?  Does the Chopper have a +1 forward?  Does the Driver start play looking for the door?  Maybe some sort of MC love letter akin to a gig/hardhold/followers roll is needed.

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 07:21:19 PM »
I wouldn't necessarily try to figure that every time, but it might be cool to occasionally make a Love Letter that did deal with Hx. Hmm.