More Hx movement

• 6 Replies
More Hx movement
« on: April 15, 2011, 11:31:07 AM »
I can´t help but think that the Hx isn´t as dinamic in play as I had imagined it when first hearing the concept. Maybe it is intended to work this way, but I´d like to see a little movemente in the Hx as a result of the moves.
In particular, I don´t see negative Hx appearing a lot in play, which is why I´m confused about the "Hx-4 goes to -1, mark experience", which seems to bee very absent from my AP experience.
These are my ideas:

-Use failures as a way to adjust Hx: "Ok, so you failed reading Marco, didn´t you? First, you get -1 Hx w/him, and also..."
-Spot for particular circumstances in the story where adjusting Hx might seem reasonable, and just go with it: "So, while you´re hiding there, Billy starts undressing, and you finally get to see what´s beneath his heavy coat. Get +1 Hx with him." or "Well, you´ve been following that disguised guy you think is Marco, but really isn´t him, and you see him trading for drugs with Tum Tum. Get -1 Hx with Marco, that guy just isn´t him, but you don´t know that."
-Modify some moves? "if you don´t spend a hold got by reading a person by the end of the conversation, trade each hold unspent for +1Hx with him.
Or maybe, at the end of some sessions: choose one PC who knows you better than before, and you may also choose one PC who knows you less than before.

What do you think?

Re: More Hx movement
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 12:04:06 PM »
Or maybe, at the end of some sessions: choose one PC who knows you better than before, and you may also choose one PC who knows you less than before.

This seems easy and interesting.

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 01:42:22 PM »

What do you think?

You could even have each player go all the way around the table, asking "Do I know you better or worse than before?"

I would think that the biggest concern in introducing more -Hx into the game would be slowing down xp gain.  You mark experience at +4 and -4, but with lots of ups and downs, you could spend a long time drifting back and forth in the middle ground of +2 to -2 and not marking experience at all.

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 01:53:16 PM »
I would think that the biggest concern in introducing more -Hx into the game would be slowing down xp gain.  You mark experience at +4 and -4, but with lots of ups and downs, you could spend a long time drifting back and forth in the middle ground of +2 to -2 and not marking experience at all.

Good point. It'd be interesting to see it in play.

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 02:32:21 PM »
Experience gain from Hx is not going to be a huge contributor to advancement, though.  If no one gives anyone -1 Hx, then on average it will take three sessions to go from +1 to +4 with somebody.  That's going to be a small percentage of total xp gain.  Reset-and-give-xp seems mostly about preventing everyone from having permanently maxed-out Hx with everyone else.

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 02:35:31 PM »
It depends if you're using the rules for Hx when someone heals or harms another PC. With particularly violent PCs, these things make use of Hx a whole lot more than the end session move.

Seems like you could modify those rules to be harming gives -1Hx per segment and bring in the -4Hx XP.

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 05:50:56 PM »
D'oh! I completely forgot about the harm/heal aspect.  Probably because the PCs never do either to each other in the games I've played. Which now strikes me as being really strange.