New MC: Need feedback on custom stuff

• 3 Replies
New MC: Need feedback on custom stuff
« on: April 09, 2011, 05:07:58 PM »
So, the first session I ran went very well I think.  Two PCs, more joining next week.  One of the PCs, Parson, is a hardholder, and runs Tabernacle.  His right hand man is Fang, a gunlugger PC.  Very quickly, they got into a conflict with Big Rock, a larger settlement run by a charismatic warlord named Barnabas.  They took Shazza, Barnasbas' emissary, captive. 

This next session, Big Rock is clearly Front #1 for the game.  I think I've got the idea of what to do, but I'm hoping you'll look this over and point out the flaws. 

Threat 1
Barnabas (Warlord/Slaver)
Cast: Barnabas, Shazza, Fuse
Description: Barnabas will dominate the Metro, enslaving those who don’t submit to his power.  In this Threat, he's reacting to the capture of Shazza and going to put the pressure on until Tabernacle submits or is destroyed.

Custom Move: Ambush!
If you're on the move beyond Tabernacle territory, Roll+Sharp. On a 10+ nothing happens. On a miss, 4-harm from an ambush. On a 7-9, choose one:
  • Spot the ambush and go back   
  • 2-harm from the ambush

Countdown: To War!
For each of the following events, advance the clock one:
  • Refusal to release Shazza
  • Capture Fuse
  • Capture Zip Gorgeous
  • Refusal to submit to Barnabas’ rule
  • Spotted in Big Rock Territory
  • Ambushed by Big Rock gang
  • Kill any Big Rock people
Events:
  • 3:00: Warn Junktown to break ties with Tabernacle
  • 6:00: Send Zip Gorgeous to Tabernacle to initiate the attack on Junktown
  • 9:00: Send Raid to attack the Tunnel People
  • 10:00: Capture Tabernacle NPCs who wander outside Tabernacle
  • 11:00: Recon Tabernacle
  • 12:00: Full on attack on Tabernacle

Threat 2
Cast: Zip Gorgeous
Zip Gorgeous (Grotesque/Mind Fucker)
Description: Zip is Barnabas’ brainer. He’s going to infiltrate Tabernacle and mind fuck someone into poisoning Junktown’s water well. He’ll choose an NPC, unless a PC confronts him and loses.
Special: Zip’s threat is triggered when the Barnabas threat countdown reaches 6:00

Custom Move: Mind Fucked
Applies to PC's only.  If you confront Zip Gorgeous, roll+weird. The fucker digs into your mind. On a 10+, you know it, but shut him down before he gets in and before you know what he was up to. On a miss, you disappear for two days and don’t remember why. On a 7-9, you don’t know why or how, but the next thing you know, it’s a day later and you’re standing next to an open manhole cover near Junktown with a jug of something green and icky in your hand.

Countdown: Poisoned Water
Every two days after this threat is triggered, advance the clock by one.
Events:
  • 3:00 – Zip arrives in Tabernacle
  • 6:00 – Zip mindfucks an NPC (or a PC, see above)
  • 9:00 – The mindfucked person disappears from Tabernacle
  • 10:00 – The well is poisoned/people are getting sick
  • 11:00 – Foster sends word he needs help
  • 12:00 – A third of the folks in Junktown die

Threat 3  *** UNFINISHED ***
Big Rock Castle (Landscape/Fortress)
Description: The castle is a rambling, makeshift fortress and prison, built atop Big Rock. The people kidnapped by Barnabas’ gang are held in several large pits until they can be broken and moved out on the farms.
Cast: Barnabas, Fuse, Zip Gorgeous, possibly Shazza

Custom Move: Navigating the Castle!
As you move through the Castle, roll+sharp. On a 7+, you move deeper into the fortress. On a miss, you set off a trap and choose two. On a 7-9, you set off a trap and choose one:
  • You take 2-harm (ap)
  • You set off an alarm
  • A guard appears in front of you
Countdown Clock
For each successful Navigating the Castle move, advance the clock
Events
  • 3:00
  • 6:00
  • 9:00
  • 12:00: The hostages/slaves are freed

I'm not finished with, and not happy about, the third threat at this point.  I'm not sure exactly what to to do with it, other than possible use it to kill all the hostages held in Big Rock if the PCs don't react or don't stop it.

Any comments or suggestions about these would be highly appreciated!

More details about the story that's developing can be found here: http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/ashes-of-winter/wikis/main-page.

Pooka

Re: New MC: Need feedback on custom stuff
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 07:44:48 PM »
So my first feeling in that Zip's custom move is a potential problem - it takes agency away from the characters, and potentially removes them from who-knows-how-many scenes that could take place while they're out of commission for two days. I know I might find that irksome, as a player. There's a reason that being forced into action in AW is usually a choice of 1) Obey and get experience or 2) disobey and take a punishment (ie -2 ongoing or whatever).

And if I'm honest the other custom moves aren't very much my style either. Both Ambush and Navigating the Castle are kinda limp, and simply result in harm on a miss. I think it's imperative to remember that failure shouldn't just hurt them - the harm move does that - but should change things in some fashion, allowing moves to snowball. These don't really do that, and besides, 2-harm AP is pretty harsh, actually.

This is merely my opinion, though. :)

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 08:17:23 PM »
This is merely my opinion, though. :)

Yes, and thanks for it.   Your points are well made and I appreciate the feed back!

Pooka

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 08:50:28 PM »
Not a problem, I'm glad I was of assistance. Feel free to goad me for more advice, if you need any. ;)