Cumulative debilities?

• 6 Replies
Cumulative debilities?
« on: April 03, 2011, 09:44:43 PM »
So here's my question: can a player choose the same debility more than once (with the penalties stacking), or do they have to choose a new one every time?

I could definitely see the difference between a character having a scarred up face (disfigured -1Hot) and a character being mangled beyond recognition (disfigured -3Hot).

Ariel

Re: Cumulative debilities?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 09:51:13 PM »
I don't really see why not but I'm pretty sure in the rules is says that you can only take them once.

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 10:31:19 PM »
Debilities are covered on page 165, but it really isn't specific.  Until you asked, I assumed that you could only take each one once, and when you couldn't take more you just had to suck it up and die.  I inferred this interpretation from the way in which lists are usually handled in the game, whereby you can't take something a second time from a list.

I too like the idea of a character who has been beaten till he's fugly.  But you might want to limit it so that characters will eventually die instead of crawling onwards, always taking hits to the stat they don't want as much.

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 03:38:19 AM »
Once you've been disfigured you can't be more disfigured can't you?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 03:43:30 AM by Silerias »

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 05:30:29 AM »
The playbooks list the debilities with little checkboxes. The Infallible Rules of Character Sheet Creation Conventions say you can't check the same checkbox more than once. I mean, you an't take the same move more than once, right?

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 12:42:48 AM »
Yes, you definitely can't be double-disfigured or even triple-crippled, no matter how tasty that ice cream might sound.  Unless your MC says it's OK.  But, y'know, once you're stacking -2 or more to something you might already suck at, it's probably time to pack it in, ladies and gens.

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 10:58:04 AM »
I'd surely let them take a debility that they'd previously taken if they'd subsequently gotten rid of it.