Highlighting stats & moves that override stats with a other one.

• 4 Replies

Gwion

How do you deal with stat highlighting for characters who have a move that override one of their stats with a other one?

In my group we have the Angel with sixth sense who use sharp instead of weird and the Gunlugger with Battle-Hardened who use hard instead of cool.

Highlighting their overridden stat don't seem to be a option since they wont be able to use it. Should they cross their highlight box for their overridden stat so that other player wont highlight it?

Or should we keep the overridden stat available for highlighting and count on the MC to provide a custom move for this stat? (it don't seem practical)

Re: Highlighting stats & moves that override stats with a other one.
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 10:52:34 AM »
In the games I've played, we remind each other.  "Oh, remember, I don't use weird for opening my brain, I use hard."  But there are other reasons to roll weird, they just don't come up as much for certain kinds of characters.  Like, the angel you're talking about still uses weird for healing touch (if she's taken that move). 

I think it's kind of a dick-move to highlight someone's unused stat unless they're way out ahead on XP and you're trying to govern them.  I wouldn't cross them off as possible highlights though.

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 12:02:51 AM »
"I think it's kind of a dick-move to highlight someone's unused stat."

I agree about this.

Arvid

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 07:52:39 AM »
We use a custom rule: Basic moves stay the same for the purposes of highlight.

When you highlight cool, that means you highlight Acting under fire, regardless if you roll cool or hard for acting under fire. It's not that tricky to keep track of, seeing as all the basic moves are named in the statbox on the character sheet.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 08:11:35 AM by Arvid »

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 08:02:19 AM »
I thought I saw a thread waaay back which came to the conclusion that if a basic move's stat was overridden, the value was overridden, but not the highlight.

So, if cool is highlighted (and not hard), but you roll hard when acting under fire, when you act under fire, you mark xp.

Man, that's an awkward phrase.  Hopefully you get what I mean, though.  Of course, I could be totally making that up.  It's been a while.  If I remember, I'll try and find it later.

Edit: okay, found it.  Totally wrong.  (Whoops!) http://apocalypse-world.com/forums/index.php?topic=437.0 has a reply from Vincent on this question.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 01:53:18 PM by SoylentWhite »