Playbook Idea - The Gent

• 8 Replies
Playbook Idea - The Gent
« on: March 21, 2011, 11:45:06 AM »
So, I run Apocalypse World at as many UK cons as I can get to, and I also post on UK Roleplayers quite a lot, so I thought I would try and come up with a playbook that's only available to download from that site.
The idea behind this is basically that stereotypical English toff, usually an Officer in the military like what you would get in A Bridge Too Far, or an aristocrat like from in The Kings Speech.

Here's what I've got so far....

The Gent

When the cities fell and the maelstrom began and everything was just going to shit all around, there was one thing that looked like it was lost forever.

But this guy, he’s still got it. That certain thing that makes you believe in the nobleness of the soul. That some people are just born better than others.

This guy, you know what he is? He’s a Gent.

Creating a Gent
Choose your name, look, stats, moves, gear and Hx.

Names
Harry, Will, Windsor, Phil, Greek, George, Henry

Di, Liz, Vic, Kate

Look
Man, Woman, Transgender
Lux wear, high formal wear, Military wear
Arrogant face, cunning face, haughty face, caring face.
Cold eyes, empty eyes, warm eyes, loving eyes.
Angular body, soft body, weak body, bony body.

Stats
Choose one set:
Cool+2, Hard+1, Hot+1, Sharp-1, Weird=0
Cool+2, Hard-1, Hot-1, Sharp=0, Weird+2
Cool+2, Hard=0, Hot-1, Sharp+1, Weird+1
Cool+2, Hard=0, Hot+1, Sharp+1, Weird-1

Basic moves
You get all the basic moves.

Gent Moves
You get this one:
•A Gentleman’s Home is His Castle: When you are safe and secure in your own abode you may roll Cool instead of the listed stat for any of the basic moves.

Then pick two of these:
•Stiff Upper Lip: +1 cool (cool +3).

•The Old Boy Network:

•Blue Blood: You can roll +Cool instead of +Hot when you manipulate someone.

Gear
You get clothes appropriate to your look (worth armour-1 if you want), and one Gentleman’s weapon.
Gentleman’s weapons (choose 1):

Hx
Everyone introduces their characters by name, look and outlook. Take your turn. List the other characters’ names.

Go around again for Hx. On your turn, choose 1, 2 or all 3:
•   Pick who you think is beneath your contempt, tell them Hx -2.
•   Pick someone who hasn’t let them self degrade into savagery. Tell them Hx+2.
•   Pick someone who you find amusing in a pitiful kind of way , tell them Hx+1.
Everyone else, you stay distant from. Tell them Hx -1.

On the others’ turns,.

At the end, find the character with the highest Hx on your sheet. Ask that player which of your stats is most interesting, and highlight it. The MC will have you highlight a second stat too.

Special Move
When you have sex with another character,.

Improvement

Whenever you roll a highlighted stat, and whenever you reset your Hx with someone, mark an experience circle. When you mark the 5th, improve and erase.

Each time you improve, choose one of the following. Check it off; you can’t choose it again.
__ get +1hard (max hard+2)
__ get +1hot (max hot+2)
__ get +1sharp (max sharp+2)
__ get +1weird (max weird+2)
__ get a new Gent move
__ get a new Gent move
__ get 2 gigs (detail) and moonlighting
__ get a gang and leadership
__ get a move from another playbook
__ get a move from another playbook

Barter
If you’re charging someone wealthy for your services, 1-barter is the going rate for:

1-barter will cover a month’s living expenses, if your tastes aren’t too grand.

As a one-time expenditure, and very subject to availability, 1-barter might count for: a night in high luxury; any weapon, gear or fashion not valuable or hi-tech; repair of a piece of hi-tech gear by a savvyhead; a year’s tribute to a warlord; bribes, fees and gifts sufficient to get you into almost anyone’s presence.

Re: Playbook Idea - The Gent
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 12:34:37 PM »
So far so good. Looks like you're still working on the weapons, sex move, and maybe the rest of Hx. Three moves seems one short for some reason. What's the deal with The Old Boy Network?

And I would suggest adding Bess, Blanche, and Elinor to the names.

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 12:41:09 PM »
Still a work in progress for sure!
I know I want a move called Old Boy Network, just not sure what to make it do yet!
So, yeah, suggestions for moves etc. are greatly appreciated.

Ariel

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 01:36:46 PM »
Advancement should be a Hardhold and Followers, not a Gang and a Moonlighting.

I think having another +3cool play book is neat however, it should be automatic, like the battlebabe, so other characters can't take it as advancement. As such, it should be a list of five or so moves and pick two, as the third option is always +1cool.

For additional moves, they should be like cool instead of stat but for hot and sharp and not hard. So, scratch off the Castle one then make up a couple like:

You'll do as you're told: When you help or interfere, +cool instead of Hx.

Tact: When you Read a person, add this to the list: What do they wish I wouldn't do or say?

Ancient Blood: Roll +cool instead of weird for opening you're brain.

Or whatever. I'm not super sure about the feel of the playbook. But a primarily social battlebabe is cool.

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 04:08:04 PM »
I like the Castle move! And I like the idea of Tact, because I would *love* to take that move!
For The Old Boy Network, it should work like the Chopper's Fucking Thieves and/or the Maestro'D's Finger in Every Pie; If you need a thing, or info, or back-up, let your OBN know. Roll+cool. On a 10+, it works! Good on you, old son! On a 7-9, it shows up, but it's faulty in some way. On a miss, sorry chappy, not today. And the MC will tell you what.

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 04:34:11 PM »
Yeah, Tact is a cool idea, I'll explain the thinking behind the castle move when I'm on the internet proper as opposed to the PS3 I'm using at the minute!

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 04:10:46 AM »
Old Boy Network: When you use your contacts, letters of introduction and references to gain barter roll +cool.
On a 10+, you get goods worth 1 barter and your influential friends are good for the cost.
On a 7-9, you get goods worth 1 barter but very much with strings attached from your friends
On a miss the GM gets to make as hard a move as he likes, you don't get the goods and somebody is very much annoyed at you using their good name to score.

Manners cost Nothing: When you read a person add this to the list - "What do they wish I wouldn't do or say." If you do it anyway and the person is a player character, they mark +1 hx with you.

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 05:09:18 AM »
Hi there,

A posh-book with a moustache. Awesome!

A thought for the Castle, only a thought though, nothing else from such a lazy bastard as I am.
The Castle could be built like a hardholder's hold or a Maestro D's establishment. What do you think of that ?

I love the idea of this palybook. I don't know why but it makes me think that we need to have a new palybook : the doctor!

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 11:36:51 AM »
I'll explain the thinking behind the castle move when I'm on the internet proper as opposed to the PS3 I'm using at the minute!

I think the move is quite powerful but it's also got a very narrow focus which kinda levels it out to me. I only wanted to include one use (stat) instead of (stat) move in the playbook as well.

I'll probably move it from a "you get this one" move to one of the ones in the choose from this list though.