A Handful of Mini-Hacks

• 1 Replies
A Handful of Mini-Hacks
« on: March 20, 2011, 03:21:59 PM »
So I took the framework of John Harper's Lady Blackbird, and the move structure of Apocalypse World and came up with something new. Three games here that all provide a take on different genres - Space Opera with Escape from Thanatos! Pulp with Terror of the Serpent Men! and Martial Arts with As the Tea Leaves Grow.

A rundown of what you can expect -
  • Basic moves are gone! Each character has their own unique set of moves
  • Consequences (as moves) rather than Harm.
  • Experience moves where characters gain experience when they behave in a certain fashion

Escape from Thantos! is a Space Opera adventure which follows the crew of the Freebooter Porpoise, on the run from the Omegan Empire after rescuing the Merchant Prince Marcus Dunn.

Terror of the Serpent Men! follows Pulp Adventurer Dan Dynamo and his companions as they save the world from the insidious conspiracy of the Serpent Men and their fearsome servants, the Hairless Apes!

As the Tea Leaves Grow is the journey of five Brothers, the students of Master Iron Willow as they seek out the Four Great Tea Masters to replace their Master's rare tea before the Emperor visits in a month.

I hope that these interest people - both to play and from a design point of view when crafting other hacks.

Enjoy!

Re: A Handful of Mini-Hacks
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 08:28:07 PM »
These are amazing! I only looked at As the Tea Leaves Grow, but I'm sure the rest are just as good. Hopefully this idea catches on! If I've got some time to kill later, I might write up one or a few.