Fanzine Idea: Luxe Eternal

• 35 Replies
Re: Fanzine Idea: Luxe Eternal
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2011, 01:14:34 PM »
Great idea!

Maybe you should get together with mease19 from the story games  Moves Thread...http://story-games.com/forums/comments.php?DiscussionID=13109&page=1 . Marshall  put together a bunch of people's custom move ideas into a booklet.

I agree with Mr. Mcdaldno. A monthly subscription might be getting in over your head. I would just make a few and see how that goes. Were you thinking of doing this zine style or something fancier?

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2011, 05:23:32 PM »
Hey Ross,

I've seen screenshots of the Custom Moves booklet, and I am going to get in touch with Marshall about that. I'm not sure how to cross-pollinate these projects, but there's gotta be a way.

When I thought "subscription," I was thinking about charging people up front for 4 quarterly issues, and just committing to do the 4 (so, one year's commitment). I think, though, that it's probably too much to wrassle with: instead, I'm going to deal with it issue by issue.

I was thinking of a home-printed product, that was given the sexiest inDesign treatment that I know how to give. Which is to say: something halfway between a zine and a press-quality product. A clean, lovely booklet.

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2011, 05:24:48 PM »
HAWT!  I'm in!

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2011, 05:52:26 PM »
Hey Joe,

This seems like a great idea to aggregate all this ethereal mass of ideas floating here in random Internet forums.

Any way I'd be able to squeeze in 500 words on The Unwritten Rules of Apocalypse World?

I could use this forum to elaborate, but it'd add value to some future issue of the fanzine if you edited it.

Best,
-Evan

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2011, 05:54:50 PM »
Anyone interested in submitting something to Luxe Eternal, write to me at:

mcdaldno (at...) gmail (dot...) com

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2011, 06:29:26 PM »
If people are wanting to submit playbooks, I'd be glad to format them to match the official trifold-style ones...  I've done this with several of the home-brew playbooks people have posted here for use in my game.  Here are a couple examples:

The Tribal (by Dragonraven):
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B_XJtVbYj_jjYTAyZWIyMGMtMGIwZi00ZmU1LWIxNGYtYTNmNDFlZTEyOTVl&hl=en&authkey=CNWT2sMJ

The Ruin Runner (by Jeff Russell, just renamed)
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B_XJtVbYj_jjNjY0ZGMwMjktZjBhNy00NjU5LWFhYmUtZTQ4ZTIxYzkwNjAy&hl=en&authkey=CKqZ8qYO

I'd be glad to make PDFs like this for any playbooks people have...

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2011, 07:07:18 PM »
Hey Nick,

I'm planning to layout any playbooks being submitted for Luxe Eternal, already. I've managed to get my hands on the tri-fold layout file, and so everything is set up and ready.

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2011, 07:40:46 PM »
Sounds good!  If anybody's interested in having one of their playbooks formatted for trifold just for personal use, I'd be glad to do it for them.

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2011, 08:05:10 AM »
I will have something ready by the end of the weekend for peer review :)

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2011, 03:02:06 PM »
Evan, I want to read 500 words on The Unwritten Rules of Apocalypse World!!

And Joe, I want to do a thing for this.

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2011, 07:24:23 PM »
Oh, this is a good one.
Name your dream article / column.
What would you really love to see in Luxe Eternal?

I'll start.
"Recipes of the Apocalypse"
A collection of fan submitted Game Snack recipes

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2011, 07:33:45 PM »
"Recipes of the Apocalypse"
A collection of fan submitted Game Snack recipes

I don't think this is what you meant, but... I'd really like to see a section about dealing with scarcity. Like, practical, how-to advice about living on nothing more than a salvaged car battery, three onions, two beets, canned dog food and a shotgun. A recipe for car-battery-heated onion & ragweed soup.

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2011, 07:37:11 PM »
Yeah I meant more like Mystery Meatballs, or Two Headed Chicken Pot Pies. But that idea is dope also.

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2011, 07:51:25 PM »
Joe, what format will this take?  I'd kind of like to see it be legal-sized pages in portrait so that tri-folds are already perfect for inclusion but that seems like a pretty weird format.  What are you thinking on this?

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2011, 01:30:29 AM »
Christopher,

I tried to puzzle out a way that it'd make sense to have legal tri-fold stuff. My current thought is to have half-letter in portrait (5.5w x 8.5h), and then include legal trifold (4.65w x 8.5h) playbooks in addition.

So, you open up Luxe Eternal, and you get: Luxe Eternal, the half-letter zine; a series of 1-4 legal tri-fold playbooks.

Thoughts?